Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

Telona, 3629 BBY

Vashlai and all her belongings had been confiscated, of course, that had not been without a lot of squawking, claw scratches and a lot of fuss. She had been accused of being a spy. The Fosh's feathers remained a steel grey color a sign of anger as well as annoyance. 

There really wasn't much Vashlai could do. Instead, she paced the dimensions of her cell and carefully studied them. There was a holocamera in the cell. Vashlai was able to find it and she saw it on the ceiling. She turned her gaze towards it. No doubt she was being studied as well. Such a thought made Vashlai squawk a light squawk in amusement and caused her feathers to turn green. She had spent most of her life observing the actions of others and now finding herself being observed kind of tickled her. 

She pondered what would happen to her.

She had heard the Sith could be harsh to beings such as her. Death was likely....no... not death. If they wanted her dead they would have killed her right off.

Torture...that was pretty likely but Vashlai had a high tolerance towards pain in general, what would make others scream in agony would have the Fosh give squawks of pleasure. She had no idea why she enjoyed pain in such a way. Perhaps her pain receptors were wired differently from others or perhaps she had turned off the segment of her brain that processed pain. Anyway, conventional torture did not work on the Fosh like it would on others. Although the Sith were welcomed to try.

She had only wished to progress in the ways of the Sith and their abilities that they called the Force. So far all her being here guaranteed her a prison cell. It was pretty spartan in appearance a bed that was a cold durasteel slab. A couple of buckets of water.

Someone would eventually come. Meanwhile... Vashlai closed her eyes and practiced the meditation she had learned from the holocron. She felt the stirrings of the Force...that strange power that both the Jedi and Sith laid possession of.

Vashlai knew she had such stirrings of that power within her. Her people had no knowledge of this power. Yet Vashlai as soon as she was aware of this power craved it. She had come here to know more. Hopefully, the Sith... would teach her. It did not look likely at the moment but Vashlai knew that she must be careful as her landing here was proof on how suspicious and cautious these people were. 

Edited by Vashlai

Darth Verrin    2,201

Verrin sighed.

It seemed there was always some administrative task to attend to, that kept him from his beloved books, his precious coffee, and his experiments. Today was no different, and Maggie cheerfully (the droid was always cheerful when scheduling his time, for some reason he couldn't fathom.  Perhaps it gave her a sense of control over him.) informed him that part of his morning included visiting the prison cells.

"Prison cells? When did we establish prison cells?" He had asked the overly-feminine-looking assistant upon hearing the news.

Maggie similarly, cheerfully, informed him, "As part of Imperial Codex, Section 178.7582, Subsection 43, Paragraph 19 states: A formal, Imperial Academy will include no fewer than twenty detention cells, in order to..."

But Verrin cut her off before she could complete her citation, assuming that it was a leftover from some earlier time - perhaps when Darth Atrox ran the Academy, though maybe it predated even him. Or maybe, it was new.  It certainly wasn't a priority on Verrin's construction efforts after the remnants of the Sith had taken the place from the native population. It just wasn't all that important why the cells were there. It was more important as to why he'd have to go there.

He wound his way through the halls, and eventually arrived at a small guard station that was manned by only two individuals. One was a Sith Acolyte, fairly insignificant by most standards, and the other was a former Imperial officer.  Both bowed at his approach, and then he asked about the prisoner he was supposed to deal with. They politely informed him that the 'bird lady' was in cell twelve, and that she was ill-tempered and unruly at best. The Sith guard even started to complain that the cell was starting to smell odd, but based on Verrin's facial expression, he quickly ended his gripe and described the reason for incarceration as "she's a spy".

Verrin didn't bother asking how they knew, or why, and proceeded to cell twelve.  He reached out with the Force, sensing the individual within. The presence possessed some affinity in the Force, but it was unclear how focused it could be - how powerful. He wasn't overly concerned, having stood toe to toe with some of the most fearsome Force-wielders in the galaxy, and he opened the cell door to step inside. 

Once there, he turned to face the occupant - a bird-like entity. She didn't appear to be mistreated or abused, but aside from an observation of molting, Verrin wasn't sure how he'd know. So instead, he simply stood with his back to the closed door, and looked at her.

He wasn't especially tall or stocky for a Sith, being of average height and seeming build.  But that build was masked by a complete blanket of black fabric.  He wore a simple, hooded, half-robe that was belted at the waist.  His pants were of firmer stuff, probably leather, and his boots were black, simple, and functional - they looked like the boots of any recruit, or regular member of the old Empire. The sleeves of his robe covered his hands, which were clasped behind him, and the only skin one could see was from the cowl of his robe. That skin was a dusky purple color, where it wasn't tattooed in black ink. The tattoos covered a wealth of age, scars, and burns, and seemed to extend beyond the scope of the face. His right ear bore a single, ornate ring, but other than that, his eyes were the only striking feature.

They were golden yellow in hue, and lined with red veins, and they looked like they could see through someone as well as to them. Those eyes drank in the prisoner for a moment, and then he spoke. "Well then... who are you, and what's your story?  How dd you find yourself stashed in here?"

• Like 1

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

Vashlai's eyes open revealing two red beady orbs. She took in the personage before her or attempted to take in his appearance. He, yes he had a distinct odor of male. He carried an air of authority. While the other Sith she had been around she thought of him as a brutish barbarian and uncivilized. Without hesitation, she had lied and told the man her mother's name. The name of Ezmai. She did not believe that he deserved the truth from her.

However, this man she knew better than to lie to him. Plus there was the fact she was a prisoner. His eyes glowed and Vashlai cocked her head in a manner of curiosity. The skin of his hands was purple. Interesting... more than likely the man was not human. 

"Well then... who are you, and what's your story?  How dd you find yourself stashed in here?"

Hmm...she was quiet for a few minutes. Reflecting carefully as she studied the man as well as what she would say. She was cold and calculating like that.

She finally opened her beak and squawked, "I am Vashlai..." She paused. What honorific should she bestow upon this being, this man who radiated authority and power? Lord? Sovereign? Majesty? Hmm...that was a good question. 

She held up a taloned finger. "How should I address you...is it Lord, Sovereign? But back to your questions. I am an observer among my people. We watch others...learn from others and as such we are not supposed to get involved in the affairs of this part of the galaxy. I..." She paused.

She gave a light squawk that sounded like a bit of a chuckle. "I have disobeyed my people and by all rights, I should not even acknowledge you or those around me. Yet...here I am. I have learned much of the beings here. Of those named Jedi and those named Sith. Of those of a Republic and those of an Empire. I admire strength, power, cunning and know from my observations of this galaxy. I know that I can no longer be a passive observer. It has grated against my nerves for far too long. Vashlai the Fosh can no longer be the observer."

She bowed before him. "I wish to learn. To join myself among you. I have already come from your dead world...the one you call Dromund Kaas. I didn't know at the time that it was dead though...till I walked upon its dead surface. I found a cube of knowledge...it taught me things.... but at the end, it would not impart anymore to me but told me to come here. So I am here.... but I was mistaken for a spy. I was rather rudely handled and put here. I suppose one could confuse one of my people for a spy easily as we do observe the galaxy around us but... I assure you I am not a spy." 

Edited by Vashlai
Added color
  • Like 1

Darth Verrin    2,201

Verrin took it all in.  This being was sizing him up, as one might expect.  Perhaps she was considering her story, or who she was talking to, wondering if she could get a leg up on the conversation if she knew something about him.  But other than appearance, he gave her no indication of who he was or how he was feeling.

When she finally did speak, it was a bit of a squawk - very birdlike - and he wondered for a moment whether she sang more beautifully than she talked. She was courteous enough to ask about his rank, though a spy might do the same if they were seeking a target for assassination. And then she gave him her story, in brief, how she was some sort of observer for her people, had witnessed Jedi and Sith, Republic and Imperials.  But now, she wanted to be one of them, not just observe them. She'd been to Dromund Kaas, presumably seeking the Sith, but only found a holocron.

THAT piqued Verrin's interest, because he was fairly certain he possessed all of the available holocrons that could be found anywhere near the capital city. Perhaps she'd visited the Dark Temple, and one of the spirits therein had imparted it to her in an effort to escape. Time would tell.

The mention of the term 'Fosh' sparked a memory in Verrin. He didn't know much about the species, and this was the first specimen he'd formally 'met'.  But he was aware that they possessed some kind of pheromones - a fact acquired in his youth while he studied the Falleen, and later, the Zeltron. It wasn't deep knowledge though, and the only other thing he knew about the strange species was that their feathers changed color to reflect mood. He certainly didn't know which color was for which emotion. Perhaps his droid Maggie would know... or else he could look it up in the Library.  If he was interested.

"I see," he replied. "If you are truly a skilled Observer, then you can surely understand how one might mistake you for being a spy.  You've supposedly studied the Jedi, and the Sith. If you had ill intent, then you'd have knowledge to harm us.  Perhaps your captor was overzealous, but as you know from observing Dromund Kaas, we've had a particularly rough time at the hands of the Republic and Jedi recently. We are... cautious."

It was an understated word to use, but a true one.  And because of that caution, he didn't yet tell her who he was.

"For the moment, let's assume you are not a spy. Let's pretend that your intentions are pure, and your goals are indeed to join the Sith, become one of them, and grow in power and rank among them. Let's say that you really want to give up the life of an Observer, and be in 'the trenches', so to speak, putting yourself in harm's way for a cause greater than you... greater than your species, even.

Put yourself in my boots, Miss... pardon my lack of protocol.  I know of your kind, but not the nuances of your social structure.   'Miss' Vashlai? if you were me, interviewing you, why would you trust yourself?  Why should you believe your story, and accept it on face value? And further... what do you bring to the Sith, in exchange for their knowledge and instruction?  Not everyone who approaches us is accepted and taught.  Of those that are, not all of them survive."

He remained unmoving, merely watched her and listened to her.

• Like 1

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

Vashlai was silent. Unsure as what to say. Her people were a manipulative lot. The possibility remained that Vashlai's extensive knowledge could play a role in what Vashlai called games. Manipulations, deceptions. Vashlai had a love of playing with people's minds. 

For all this man knew she could be playing him. Just who was she loyal to? Certainly, Vashlai could not go back to her own people. They would consider her a traitor at the worse and at the best a rebel or malcontent. So she wasn't loyal to her own people. Why would this man consider her even loyal to him? If she could so easily betray her own people she could easily betray his people.

She tapped her taloned fingers across the bunk she sat on. "I have betrayed my own people. I could easily betray yours. Once betrayal is found in one's heart it is far easier to betray someone else."

She paused. "But... I have put myself in a vulnerable position. I am a creature of shadow, to pass unnoticed and unseen by most beings, such has been my life. When was the last time you saw one of my kind? I doubt you have seen many. My people are solitary choosing to avoid everyone and everything. So why would I put myself at your mercy? A smarter being or a smarter Fosh would pass your academy and your little band of survivors without being caught. Or perhaps you think your skills and talents are what caused me to be caught in the first place. But...."

Vashlai's feathers turned green in amusement. "I have observed your people for years. I have walked among your places of power unnoticed by most. I have done the same among your enemies. So why would I allow myself to be captured in the first place? You could argue that that is a point of a spy but...there is the fact that you were unaware of my existence until now."

Edited by Vashlai

Darth Verrin    2,201

Verrin gave a wry smirk, the expression visible from the open cowl. "And how aware of my existence were you, I wonder?"  He proffered.

Still, with hands clasped, he offered, "Betrayal... practically a defining characteristic of the old Sith.  Certainly, a characteristic of the Jedi.  I would argue that betrayal is easy... loyalty is much more difficult.  But..." He made a waving motion. "That is neither here nor there.  You say you've observed us for years... how far back?  Dromund Kaas?  Further?  And what did all that observing teach you? What have you learned, Miss Vashlai? 

More importantly," he argued, "You asked the same questions I posed to you, but didn't answer any of them.  Why WOULD you put yourself at our mercy?  Are you claiming yourself to be a dullard?  You say a smarter Vosh would pass us by.  Why WOULD you allow yourself to be captured, if that's the case?  I can make any argument I want, but I want the answers - from you.

Speak up now. If you were me... what could you say to convince yourself that you should be not only set free, but brought into our fold?"

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

"How aware...am I....of you?"  Vashlai opened her beak in an approximation of the smile. "There are only two Dark Lords that I know are powerfull enough to run this remnant. The rest follow their lead....shall I go on....Lord? Or shall you fill in the blanks?  You are clearly one of them. But which one are you? Some of you prefer the shadows and it is hard to know which one you are when one hides in the shadows." 

Vashlai squawked in laughter and said. "An old saying....that betrayal is the way of the Sith. But one could argue that betrayal is a way to clear away that which deserves to die and to make that which is stronger thrive. Am I a dullard? Perhaps...or just insanely reckless. I..."

She paused. "Something stirs within me...I cannot explain it. A hunger perhaps, a want and longing. Irrational that maybe....but I cannot help it. I have not felt such longing before. It is like a moth drawn to the pull of a light source that will inevitably kill them. I am willing to accept that this coming here may mean my end. Yet I believe I will die anyway if I cannot fill that longing that pulls at me somehow. I don't understand it....it is irrational to me. I can't explain it. Perhaps it is madness or something else. I cannot explain it. Yet it stirs within me....I am not sure if I fully understand what it is. It is beyond what even my people know. If you can explain it to me then I will accept my fate even death if that is what you will. I just cannot bear any longer not knowing what this feeling is." 

She paused in thought. "What can I give you? Perhaps you already have such things, and do not need me. Yet...it seems to me if the Sith are to survive that subterfuge must be your strength, the shadows to be your friend, caution, and observation must be something that must be passed on. I....do not know if that is good enough. However..." She paused in thought and then said. "My tears....I can offer you my tears....I do not know how this is...but my tears are powerful. If I concentrate they can become a powerful item....they can heal....they can also poison....they can do many things...normally they are used to call to me a mate...but somehow....they are more than that If I focus and will them to be something else." 

Edited by Vashlai
  • Like 1

Darth Verrin    2,201

Verrin couldn't quite put a finger on the coloration of the feathers, but it seemed like their hue was related to emotion.  Green was... amusement?  Cynicism? Perhaps it was merely something to throw an observer off, or maybe she used them to influence the minds of others. Verrin didn't sense any mental manipulation though - and he was more skilled at resisting it than most. But given the apparent honesty, he went along without further concern about it.

He did give a slight huff of air through his nose though, as she spoke of him as one of two Dark Lords capable of running the remnant. He then corrected her, "Oh, child..." he said, though he'd never used the term for anybody else since becoming a Sith.  Perhaps it was a nod to her inexperience, rather than age, though it was impossible to tell how old she was given his ignorance about her species.

"I used to think like you. I used to try to hide in the shadows.  Now... I am the shadows."  He reached up and pulled back the cowl of his robe, revealing his crown of horns. Some were broken and worn, others were intact, and all looked solid enough.  His facial tattoos and dusky lavender skin continued up through the crown and over the back of his otherwise bald head.  But still those golden eyes shone like beacons in his dark countenance.

"There are more Dark Lords than you know. This may be the remnants of Dromund Kaas, but there are others out there - some scouring the galaxy for new footholds, others seeking survivors, and still others seeking solitude. There are even other groups of Sith in the galaxy - not all of them agree with the former Emperor or Vitiate before him.  Two of us?  Bah... I cannot imagine that the Sith have fallen so far as to rely solely on me for their survival."

He had revealed his own species - the Zabrak - and began to pace the area of the cell near the door.  "Don't cry for me, Vashlai... " he commented, quoting an old stage show. "You may want to, in time, but I don't see any reason to waste them at this time.  But let's talk trade, shall we?"

"If you're half the spy you say you are, then you know we are hurting.  A true spy would give us up to the Jedi, and they would descend on this planet in whatever numbers they could muster to stamp us out forever.  Heck... they might even bombard the planet from afar. We cannot have that - obviously - so part of what we seek in exchange for instruction and acceptance, is loyalty."

He paused and glanced over at her, then added, "There are blood rituals we could perform to assure your obedience... your subservience... but that would be making you something of a slave, not a Sith. We could ask you for 'your word', but historically, that has failed time and again.  So what I'd need from you, would be some assurance - some proof - of your loyalty, first to the Order, and then to yourself.

The training is difficult... for some, lethal.  It takes dedication, certainly, but also a willingness to understand things that we're taught our entire lives cannot be.  The Jedi will flat out refuse to train anyone other than a youngling - they believe that one cannot unlearn ingrained ideas. The Sith do not hold to that philosophy. I suspect that's part of the reason you're here. Otherwise - why wouldn't you go to the 'kindly' Jedi?  You know... those 'kindly' Jedi who sought to wipe us from the galaxy?"

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

Vashlai's blinked a few times. She knew that the Empire she spoke of was wounded. Most of the council she had seen before were dead. Or maybe they weren't. She felt confused. He feathers shifted color to a grey that showed annoyance.  Yet she was pretty sure her knowledge was certain at this point after she had made careful surveillance from her time on Dromond Kaas that there were two Sith. Perhaps she was correct that there were only two that were worthy of import to her mind. The rest were inconsequential. One's mind could be considered so malleable. She knew that.

She wanted to voice such thoughts but decided not to. The Sith before her pulled back his hood revealing who he was. She sucked in a gulp of air as she took in the image of the  Zabrak. She had been more honest than she had been in a long time. Yet she was pretty sure that this was a man that she felt worthy of telling the truth to. She said quietly. "I am not a being of honesty...Lord...I am only truthful to those who I find worthy of my time, and my consideration. If I said two Sith...then in my mind there are only two I consider worthy of my attention. You are one of them. Your Emperor....is dead....or assumed dead. Perhaps they are still around but hiding." 

"Why would I cry for you? My tears are but a hormonal response. One to seek a mate or to what things I can manipulate of my own will. I have no emotion....as the Jedi would say. There is no love within me, nor is there any passion. I am cold I have little to no feeling. I have nothing but perhaps ice and indifference within me. Perhaps the Jedi would find that amusing to find no passion or even love or attachment within me.  Would I make a decent Jedi? I do not think so. I am too cold, too calculating. Too...." She chuckled her feathers shifted color back to green. "Inhuman. The Jedi do sometimes make exceptions towards those they train but not often. I sought you out as worthy of my time and my attention. I know that your kind have not always been loyal to each other. You kill each other, you power struggle but seeing you are weakened and vulnerable as you are you cannot afford such but loyalty." 

She frowned or rather her beak curled downward at being called a child. Yet....when it came to that power...the one they called The Force she was a child. "I admit...that my knowledge of what you call the Force is sketchy. My people are ignorant. I am ignorant. What skills I have learned were from the cube...or holocron as you call it, I have studied. Yet...I do not believe it would reveal everything to me. It was as if it could sense my ignorance and held back. Most frustrating, indeed. I had no choice but to come here or remain limited." 

She paused. "There is always a price to pay, is there not? What can I give you....to prove loyalty? Will you give Vashlai a test? Will you ask me to kill someone? Will you ask me to destabilize something? Perhaps cause contention among the Jedi? That would be fun and would amuse me. I can be elusive. I can feign ignorance as well as act helpless, sweet and nauseatingly good. Yet I do not think I could fool a master of the Jedi. Perhaps there weaker ones I could deceive. Yet what point would that prove? Except to perhaps amuse me or you." 

Edited by Vashlai
  • Like 1

Darth Verrin    2,201
Posted (edited)

There were some communication issues, when dealing with this creature - the Vosh, she called herself.  Verrin could tell right away when they spoke of tears.  To him, tears, and crying were practically one and the same.  One was a physical manifestation of the other. But to her, and maybe to a species who used pheromones in their tear ducts, they were very different activities.  Or maybe she didn't quite understand the concept of crying, if she was as passionless as she claimed.

Verrin considered her situation. She wasn't the epitome of a Sith, for certain.  But was she capable of becoming one?

He spoke quietly as well, matching her tone.  "Lies... truths... I appreciate your honesty.  I have found that lying merely spreads lies as supposed truths, preventing real information from being exchanged. Imagine if all we were ever taught was a lie - from the words we used to describe things to the 'facts of life'? Did you know, one some planets, the natives believe their world is flat and not spherical? I think there are some tribes, even here on Dathomir, who give credence to such beliefs.

I could be lying to you about there being other Sith - other Darths in the galaxy. But to what end? You may be a good spy, but your field of view is somewhat limited, I think. There is so much more to see - things you have no idea even exist. If I were to tell you I could walk through that wall, for example... is it a lie because you haven't observed it? Is it truth merely because I said it?

In order for you to learn anything about the Sith - the real Sith, the Code, and so forth, you have to accept instruction as truth. Otherwise, why bother learning it at all?

And for that matter... " He grew serious, his tone still quiet, but his demeanor and body language took on more of a parental tone.  "You bring up an important concern. You claim to be passionless, but the very nature of the Sith is a life of embracing our passion, our anger, our happiness, our love, our hate. It empowers us - makes us better able to tap into the Force you wish to learn more about. The Jedi resist that - they strive to be emotionless, to be clinical in all they do so that the 'heat' of anger or passion doesn't cause them to act against their beliefs.

If you were to come on board, you would HAVE to embrace passion, my dear. Otherwise, there is little we can teach you.  Perhaps that is the reason your 'cron kept things from you - it didn't feel your desire for knowledge, or hunger for power.  Can you change, Vashlai the Vosh?  If not, then yes, I could always use a spy, but I'm positive I cannot teach you anything about being Sith.  The very first lines of our Code - the foundation of our belief system - is that Peace is a Lie, there is only Passion.  And through Passion, I gain Strength. 

Tell me, Miss Vashlai... have you ever loved anything, or anyone?"

Edited by Darth Verrin
  • Like 1

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

Vashlai cocked her head curiously. It was a problem. She was supposed to feel something anything but truly all she felt was cold and icy inside. Perhaps that was a fault of her people.

But then she gasped. A fever of anger suddenly simmered within her. Her feathers turned grey almost purplish grey. It wasn't her fault. It was her people. They had raised her without attachments. She grew up raised in a nursery. 

Perhaps she wasn't completely as icy as she thought.

She snorted. "No, Lord. I was taken as an egg away from my biological parents and raised in a nursery. It is my people's fault that I am cold as I am. But.. I feel something...akin to frustration and anger towards being denied what other beings have had. Perhaps I am not as cold as I thought. Perhaps I have a kernel of something. As for love... not really... I do desire power and knowledge. I feel so far away from what I should be."

Edited by Vashlai

Darth Verrin    2,201

Verrin nodded.  He could feel her anger in the Force, even if he couldn't read it on her avian features.

"I see.  Well - perhaps you can be redeemed yet."  He smirked.  People who tended to quash their feelings didn't usually see 'opening up' to them as redemption. "I want you to consider... think hard, Miss Vashlai.  Can you see a path in your future where you care about something?  It sounds contradictory, I know... the Sith have something of a predisposition to hatred and anger. But I promise you... if you can find love in your heart, or mind, or what-have-you... real affection for something or someone... then when you lose them, you will equally know hatred and anger like no other. By suppressing emotion... feelings... you only keep yourself from becoming greater than you are."

It was probably a lot to take in, all at once, especially if she had spent a lifetime building up walls to protect her ego... or was genetically incapable of greater attachment to something or someone. Her story of being taken as an egg resonated along with all the other stories of abandonment that he'd heard over his many years.  He always said that if he had five credits for every time he heard a Sith newcomer tell a story of either abandonment or of outright killing their parents, he could buy a new capitol ship. Vashlai had more in common with many Sith Acolytes - in that way- than she probably realized.

The yearning for power was normal - expected - and a good sign of things to come.  But the Dark Side fed on emotion.  Vashlai might learn some Force technique or another if she applied herself... maybe levitate small objects, or inflict minor harm or health to another. But if she was serious about wanting true power... real power... then she was going to have an uphill battle to get in touch with her inner self.

"Why don't you spend the evening here, in contemplation, or meditation, or whatever form of deep soul-searching or thought you might experience. Consider well my words, and think hard about whether or not you really, really want to feel. I promise you, it's wonderful, amazing... but it's also painful.  It will lead you to the power you seek, and failing to embrace that idea will hurt your chances of surviving the Academy, assuming we accept you.

I will see you again tomorrow," Verrin had every intention of trying to learn SOMEthing about this Vashlai, or at least her species between now and then.  "It's good to sleep on matters that will affect your entire life."

He didn't say whether she would be put to death or not - that wasn't important to him, and he didn't want her to have the confidence that came from knowing she would be put to death if she didn't agree to terms, or not. Promise her life, no matter her decision, and it would sway her.  Similarly, promise death, and the survival instinct determines one's response.   Best that she weigh all options.

Verrin pulled the cowl back over his head, gave a slight nod in departing, and left the room.  He would be true to his word, and return the next day.

Vashlai    8

Vashlai considered the words. Her anger was more towards her people than towards her parents.It was custom among her people not to be raised by family but to be raised by one's society. Yet, Vashlai had learned one thing it was clear a dispassionate being was not a Sith or could not be a proper Sith. However, Vashlai was not Jedi geared either. What was she?  Was she able to feel anything? Any love towards anything and then a small idea of what thing she could love was.... fledgling. Yes. offspring. But in order to have fledgling, Vashlai needed a mate. But it was a strange desire one that Vashlai had never considered before. Vashlai cocked her head curiously. It stirred up strange feelings within her. She wanted progeny and that was a natural desire as without progeny ones species would not survive.  But Vashlai knew with a certainty her people could not have her progeny. She had a love for an unborn unformed being, What strange feeling was that? To have a feeling of love towards something not born. 

She now had a certain answer and she held it close to her chest. 

Darth Verrin    2,201

Verrin returned the next day, as promised. He entered the cell in the same manner he had before, and stood where he had before.  He was even dressed the same, though it was unlikely one could tell if the clothing had been changed or was the exact same outfit. The cowl was up, in place, and his face was the only skin that saw the light of day.

He considered the prisoner - the Sith hopeful? - for a few moments before he spoke.  Depending on her patience, the silence might be unbearable, or welcome. 

He finally spoke, asking, "Well... have you considered? Do you require more time to weigh your decision?  Or do you have any questions that remain unanswered that might be preventing you from coming to a conclusion, Miss Vashlai?  I can come back, if you prefer."

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

Vashlai looked a bit embarrassed her plumage was a bright red as she got up from the bunk there was a round spheroid object from where she had sat.  She lightly squawked. "I am still a bit cold but not as much. I can learn love apparently." 

Her taloned hands took up the egg. "Sadly...this one is inhert. But apparently, I want and would do anything for a fledgling. Love, kill, or destroy for it."

Vashlai sighed, "I have been foolish...to not consider that which all species must do."

She laughed and her plumage turned orange in happiness "I must have offspring. I have been too devoted to my people to think of anything else. But now I know I can be a Sith." 

Edited by Vashlai

Darth Verrin    2,201

"What a strange bird," Verrin thought to himself.  "Or is that 'odd duck'? I never remember those old sayings right."

He looked over at the egg, almost wondering where it came from.  Had the jailors brought it for breakfast? That seemed unusually cruel, even for them.  No, it sounded like Vashlai was proud, so perhaps the efforts were hers.  She gushed about offspring, causing Verrin's eyebrow to raise a bit under his hood, but he didn't comment about it directly.

Instead, he corrected her, "Now you know you can TRY to become Sith. Not everyone makes it.  In fact... a surprising number do not."

He thought back to all of those who had gone through the Academy with him.  None survived that he knew of. He'd lost so many attachments. And considering the egg, it reminded him how he lost his family.

Unlike may Force users who came to the Sith, he hadn't been young.  His parents hadn't been murdered, and he hadn't hated them to a point where he killed them.  He had a loving family, a wife, was father to three children.  All gone - most because of the Sith or Madolorians.  His only daughter, lost to the Jedi.  Time had hardened him, scabbed over the raw emotion of loss to a degree.  But he kept it, buried deep within him, to call upon when he needed to use the Force like he never had before.

It sounded like Vashlai hadn't lived long enough to experience that level of loss, or love. But if her emotional attachments came with maturity, then perhaps she COULD become a Sith as she aged.

He looked at her, his head cocked at an angle as if seeing her from a different perspective might change his mind. It didn't... yet.

"Well... I suppose we can start you on the path, see how you do. Don't make me regret this decision, Miss Vashlai. Always seek to impress me.

Your quarters here won't be much better than this cell, I'm afraid. We haven't established enough financial flow to be frivolous with luxuries.  But you'll find this facility has power, and controlled air, making it bearable compared to the jungle outside. I suggest you begin your instruction in the Library, or the Pits, depending on your preference for intellectual improvement or martial training. Also... learn where the Infirmary is. You may find yourself spending some time there in your early days."

He took one more look at her.  Nope... still wasn't changing his mind. If she wasn't cut out for this life, they would both know soon enough.

He turned to leave, and as an afterthought, paused.  Without turning back, he added, "My Lord works well enough," he said, answering her question from the day before. "I am called Darth Verrin."

And with that, he left the room.

One of the guards showed up seconds later, apparently ordered to take Vashlai to some kind of quarters that new Acolytes used on the premises. Sure enough, while the temperature was controlled, the rooms were relatively small and spare on furnishings. A small table, chair, and bed seemed to be 'it', but atop the table sat a wrist-mount datapad with a map to parts of the facility that would be important to a budding Sith. Cafeteria, entrance/exit, a sort of makeshift cantina that mostly consisted of a bar and a few tables and chairs, the Library, the Pits, and the Infirmary.  An icon on the side said 'home', and apparently led back to this room.

Vashlai the Vosh had successfully infiltrated the Sith.

Vashlai    8
Posted (edited)

"Now you know you can TRY to become Sith. Not everyone makes it.  In fact... a surprising number do not."

Something about that made Vashlai angry. She knew deep within her she would be a Sith. Her feathers became dark grey. She felt a deep hearted rage. She did not lay an egg to have this Sith master tell her she could try.

She said darkly. " I WILL be a Sith. No one will stop me." She stopped short saying... least of all you. She knew better to issue such a challenge to this Lord. Death would definitely put an end to her aspirations. 

She had a feeling her path would be hard. She was an alien. She had heard the rude comments from placing her ears and her antenna towards the door.

She was indifferent about her amenities. She did lift one talon finger though. She squawked firmly. "They took Pet from me. I want her back." 

If the Lord was confused about this she clarified. "Pet is a Loth Cat. She's mine. If she has been mistreated I will not be happy."

Maybe she had more attachments than she realized. Yet Vashlai's history with the cat was unusual. The cat seemed drawn to the Fosh. Vashlai had sought to drown the cat but the cat was a fighter and being such a fighter Vashlai had decided that the cat's life was worth keeping. The two became inseparable.

So leaving the cell, Vashlai collected her possessions. A guard looked unhappily at Pet. Three claw marks were seen on his arms.

Vashlai sniffed dryly. "She is Pet. You get what you deserve for not treating her right." 

Vashlai squawked lightly and Pet leaped from the guard's arms and crawled into Vashlai's arms. It purred happily to be back in Vashlai's ownership. She stroked it's fur and went to her chamber.

Edited by Vashlai