Mirran Kai

When the Loth-Cat's away the Mice will....

Mirran Kai    59

Mirran's  crono beeped and Mirran sighed and touched the button on her comm. "Kaybee....I am checking in...." 

The droid affirmed the transmission and the crono reset. 

Mirran said firmly. "We should not split up. The kinrath are somewhere in this cave, just because we don't sense them doesn't mean they are not here.  if you are overwhelmed by them we will not be able to help you or vicea-versa.  This cave is dangerous and with the three of us together we should be able to take on any of the dangers that exist. Spliting up is foolish. We are stronger together than we are apart. I decided on this escapade and I am...." She sighed. "Responsible for all our actions in this cave. If something happens to you, I am indirectly responsible.  Although we all agreed to take the risk coming. I am fully responsible because I organized it. I will not leave you, Char. So we either stay together or we leave together. Your choice." 

Edited by Mirran Kai

Magnus couldn’t really argue with what Mirran was saying since it was pretty much true, it wasn’t the best idea to split up even if we weren’t that far from the entrance, he had heard that unless you knew what you were doing you can easily get lost in here. ‘I’m with Mirran on this one mate. I mean we came out here to hang out and we can’t do that if you split away from the group, I mean what’s the point if everyone’s not together if they all said that they would? It’s pointless. Also its really easy to get lost in here and from what I’ve hear the bugs in here have a real bad bite to them.’

‘I mean,’ Magnus continued, looking slightly annoyed. ‘this waterfall sounds amazing. Think about it, a waterfall untouched for an untellable amount of time along with crystals that are however old they are, untouched as well. This really should be ticking all the right boxes here.’

Magnus then turned around to face towards the tunnel in front of them. ‘But if we are going to move forward as a group then I suggest that we try and sense either the oldest or strongest crystals that we can find. Since they would be untouched for such a long time then they should be sensed more easily, so with that in mind Mirran it’s probably the best if you take the lead sice your Force sight is stronger then what I can come up with. Unless Char has anything that’ll work better.’

‘We should also leave a trail that we can easily follow back so we don’t get lost. Our lightsaber’s should leave a mark even if they don’t actually cut through anything, but if that doesn’t work then I can always use one of my tricks instead.’ Magnus took a moment thinking over what he just said. ‘Sorry, I went full tactician there didn’t I? Sorry, but it does sound like a good idea though.’

Char    28

Char wasn't pleased with Mirran and Magnus. He needed to be alone if he was going to snatch some crystals. He couldn't have the others bother him or, worse, notify any Jedi Master about his activities. "You can go ahead.", Char said. "I will follow you shortly. No need to worry about me; I can handle myself. It is not the first time I have been in these caves and, quite frankly, I do not believe that if Kinrath do appear you will be of any help. Also, Mirran, you are not responsible for me. I am responsible for my actions. Need I remind you that I am older than you? I am older than Magnus too. As the oldest one here, I know how to handle myself."

Char paused for a moment. "After all, I will be here for only a few minutes. I will join you shortly. I insist strongly about it." Char made sure that he left no room for misinterpretations. "Now, please, go ahead. In a moment or two, I will be with you. Hopefully you will have found the waterfall by the time I join you."

Char softened his expression a bit. "Be careful though. If you do see a Kinrath, do not try to be heroes. Fleeing is the best option."

Mirran Kai    59

Mirran stood firmly. "I will not go. I am still responsible for all our actions, despite what you say. I made the plan to come here, not you. If it was your plan, I would respect your decision to do as you wish. However, you did not plan this journey into the caves. I did. In the end,  age is no guarantee of wisdom or maturity, Staying in this part of the cave on your own is folly and shows a lack of foresight and maturity on your part." 

Mirran knew she was young but..she had made this plan to enter these caves and she felt very strongly that regardless she was responsible for her friends. If something happened to Char or Magnus she would never be able to forgive herself for making this choice to come here.

"A Jedi is not just responsible for oneself but for those around them. We are comrades in arms or we are supposed to be.  A comrade in arms does not leave another on their own. We are supposed to support each other. Perhaps you think so little of those around you. But I cannot."

Mirran found a seat on a rock and sat down. "I can wait....and if you cannot wait I suggest we all leave." 

Edited by Mirran Kai

Char    28

Char sighed. He wasn't going to give up on the crystals though. "Well, if you wish to remain with me, fine. However, please stay out of my way. Most importantly; do not interfere with my business." Char was going to proceed to finding the crystals; he did not care about some rumored waterfall.

Char allowed himself to feel his surroundings and sense the crystals. He walked ahead, following the same route he and Homra had taken when he had first come to these caves. He had memorized that route in case he needed to come back. While his mastery of the Force was only average, his memory was pretty good. Char did not care if Mirran and Magnus were following him or not. Even if they did, he wasn't going to give up on his plans. He was pretty sure that neither of them would want the Masters to know about this expedition, so neither would report him.

He soon reached the place where Homra had brought him for his meditation. Crystals were dotting at the walls and ceilings. They emitted a bright glow. Char could feel the powers of the crystals as he approached them. This time, Char was better able to hide his emotions so that they did not affect most of the crystals but one of them did start to bleed, just like the last time he had been here. "Well, here we are. The crystals! Now, if you will all excuse me, I have work to do. It will not take long. And, please, do not cause any trouble. We do not need any infighting in a cave filled with Kinrath, do we?"

He approached a crystal; a green one. He then reached to his backpack and grabbed a small hammer he had brought with him. Char then tried slowly but steadily to remove the crystal, making sure that it was not damaged. Once he did, he placed it on his backpack. "Two more and we can then go search for your waterfall.", he remarked with a smile on his face.

Mirran Kai    59

Mirran cringed slightly. She did not like the dark undertow that Char was exhibiting. His Force Presence suddenly changed colors and seemed quite different from the murky grey she was used to. She wondered what she had gotten herself into. She watched as Char seemed quite adamant about taking Crystals and she followed him and she sighed. She decided to be gentle with him as there really wasn't anything her or Magnus could do because apparently Char just simply was going to do what he wanted anyway.

She said softly, "Those Crystals will be useless to you, Char. Any Jedi who has studied how these Crystals work knows that they won't work for you unless....you intend to bend them to your will and besides how many crystals do you honestly need? However, if you must, then you must..." 

She smiled softly through and carefully touched another crystal that Char had his focus on and Mirrian calmly focused her eyes on the natural fractures within the Crystal and carefully gave a light tap with the Force. The Crystal's lattice came quietly off and the crystal came loose she calmly took it up in her own hand and handed it to Char. 

Edited by Mirran Kai

Char    28

Char smiled. "Thanks.", he said as he took in his hands the crystal handed to him by Mirran. "Those two crystals should be enough, I guess. I do not think I will need any more crystals, for now at least."

Char paused for a moment. "I have to be honest, I did not expect you to be so understanding. Thank you."

Char placed the crystal to his backpack, alongside the other one, and then said, "Now, shall we get going to your waterfall?". Char wasn't very interested in the waterfall; personally, now that he had the crystals, he would prefer to leave before any Kinrath or some other dangerous creature would cause them trouble. But since the others wanted to go to the waterfall, he decided to agree to their request. He did not want to cause more friction between them.

Magnus had followed Char and watched as he took a crystal from the wall. He sighed to himself. He didn’t enough the prospect of this, taking a crystal that wasn’t yours didn’t feel right for him. It was more or less the same as stealing someone’s personal property that was so precious to them, but he knew that there were cases where an exception was made. Maybe the item was stolen originally and the rightful person was taking it back in their possession or it was needed more by the other. But the problem with exception was that it was a fickle thing, it always changed each and every time it was used and sometimes in the end, it blow up in your face.

For this, Magnus decided to trust his friend even though he may not have agreed. ‘Ok so since you’re done with your picking can we get a move on please? Although I would love to find my own but I don’t think it’s in here but I am defiantly going to keep an eye out for it, or sense out since that’s more accurate in how you find it. Oh and Char, if you really need another crystal in the future give me a call alright. I happen to have a spare on me. one of the perks of being given a proper lightsaber before getting here.’

‘Now onwards men, to glory!’ Magnus spoke with a large amount of humour and started walking in the direction that they were heading towards before they stopped. He then stopped after a few paces and walked back. ‘Actually you should probably lead Mirran since your sight will probably get use their faster.’

Mirran Kai    59

"I have to be honest, I did not expect you to be so understanding. Thank you."

Mirran said coldly. "Do not confuse my actions for affirmation. I do not approve. The crystals do not belong to you. They belong to whoever they resonate with but perhaps you will learn that lesson on your own when you attempt to use them. Plus if the Masters or Knights asks me about where you got them. I will not lie. I will not cover for you. Your actions are your own and I will accept the will of the Force such as it may be." 

She sighed and took a breath. "I've said my piece and we will not speak of this anymore." 

She turned towards Magnus and smiled at his words. "Yes., since I have no idea where this waterfall is....I....must meditate and open myself and my vision to the Force. 

She sat down and sat crosslegged and breathed calmly, her focus firmly planted on the Force. The cave lit up and she cocked her head to one side. "It is very bright...." She paused and pointed a slender finger towards a right way path. "The waterfall is likely this way." 

• Like 2

Char    28

Char sighed. He had hoped that Mirran would understand his actions. Silent, he followed her and Magnus towards the waterfall. His face was devoid of any emotions but he was angry that his plan did not go as planned; now both Magnus and Mirran knew that he had the crystals and could talk about it to the Masters. He hoped that they would not do so. For a moment he considered the possibility of attacking them right now to make sure that they would not talk, but he quickly dismissed this idea; Magnus was better Force user than him and he considered Mirran to be a friend.  Still, Char wanted to make sure that neither of them would speak about this trip.

"You know", he said, breaking his silence, "I am pretty sure that the Masters aren't going to be pleased that we undertook this trip. So it would be a good idea not to talk about it. There is no need to stir trouble for no reason, is there? If no one asks any questions, there is no need to tell anyone about our trip to this cave."

Mirran Kai    59

"You know I am pretty sure that the Masters aren't going to be pleased that we undertook this trip. So it would be a good idea not to talk about it. There is no need to stir trouble for no reason, is there? If no one asks any questions, there is no need to tell anyone about our trip to this cave."

If Mirran had eyes she would have rolled them. Apparently, Char misunderstood her words. She never thought he was that thick. She had never had said she would automatically go to the masters or the knights about Char's indiscretion. She had only said if they questioned her about the crystals Char had she would not lie about it. 

A tad bit of annoyance dripped into her voice. "Did I ever say I would tell anyone of this trip? I said....if the Masters or knights inquire to me about your crystals I would not lie. No one has asked me as of yet. For your sake, you better hope they do not." 

She had just had enough of Char, this trip was suddenly not becoming as fun as she had hoped it would be. She found herself stopping at what looked to be two paths. 

One will deceive you....one will lead truly. 

Huh? Now that was an interesting thought or was it some sort of precog sense that was warning her. One of these paths clearly lead to danger and the other didn't. Which one, she wasn't sure? She scratched her head. "The paths are confusing me....one leads the right way the other may have hidden dangers or be a complete dead end or perhaps even both." 

Char    28

Char could tell that Mirran was annoyed at him. He took a deep breath and calmed down. He then said, "I am sorry. It wasn't my intention to make this trip unpleasant." He then smiled. He hoped that this would make the atmosphere less tense and would change the mood. 

Soon, they found themselves looking at two paths. Char thought for a while. Both paths entailed risk. If they made the wrong choice, they could be in serious danger. "I say that we follow the first path. Or we could always split. What do you say?" 

Magnus looked at the two possible ways that they could go, on one had they could go left and possibly get attacked, find the waterfall or get lost in tunnels while on the other hand they could... do exactly the same thing. But they were Jedi, well Jedi in training, so they should be ok whatever happens.

Magnus spoke as his reached into one of his pockets. ‘I say we go right. Not because I think it’s that way but I like going right, I mean I am a righty.’ He waved his right hand to emphasize. ‘That being said I don’t like lefties, they are always up to something. It’s the eyes that give them away. And Char, really? We literally just had a conversation about splitting up and how it’s a bad thing.’

After fishing around in his pockets for a little bit, he pulled out his datapad and started to put his plan into action, his fingers starting to dance over it as he spoke. ‘But in all seriousness, we should just go down one and follow it for a little bit and if it ends up a bad decision then we leave that tunnel and try the other one.’

‘ And does so we don’t get lost...’ he continued as he put the finishing touches on his little project on his datapad. ‘... there we go. We can use this. With this bit of code it will track our movements and display whatever path we have taken so if we get lost we can return back here and find our way out again. But as for the path, you brought us in here Mirran so you’re in charge. Which way would you like to go?’

side note: Programming Proficiency

Edited by Magnus Koaldor

Mirran Kai    59

Mirran took a deep breath. "Blast....I should have had Kaybee come with us. I am sure he'd make a big fuss but I could have sent him down one of these passageways to scout out for us. But he's more of a protocol droid and would be a very poor scout. A Kinrath would come along and he'd be scrap." 

She sighed. She picked up a rock with the Force and threw it down the left-sided tunnel. She let go of the rock and she heard the rock crash into the rock wall. She took another rock and threw it with the Force and let it go to the right-side tunnel. She heard nothing. That meant nothing though, it could be there was no rock wall or it ran out of momentum. 

She looked reflective and started a simple rhyme. "Two ways of the Force, simple to see. One is Dark the other is Light. Which way to go, which way to find. Light, Dark. A flip of a cred coin. My Master says to be careful now in both ways sure. Choose...the right path and choose your way...." 

She pointed her finger down both ways and alternated between the rhyme. "Light, Light....Dark, and Dark as you please, but one way for Jedi and one way for Sith. Choose a side and stay." 

Her finger pointed down the right corridor and she shook her head. "To be honest. I have no idea. And as simplistic as that was, I've heard that sometimes worse decisions have been made with even lesser rhymes or lesser ways. A flip of a credit coin, even. So let's hope fate is with us and this doesn't turn out bad." 

She paused a moment. "Oh and don't ask me where I learned that rhyme...it's been floating around for awhile." 

Char    28

"So, we shall be going down the right corridor?", Char asked. "I say that we get going. You first, of course."

Char was cautious as ever. He knew pretty well that the path ahead could be dangerous, so he didn't want to be the one going first. But Char also smiled all this time. He had managed to get the crystals and so this trip could be classified as a success from his point of view. He was already thinking of how he was going to use the crystals. He could barely conceal his excitement. He hoped to construct two lightsabers.

Magnus gave a strange look towards Mirran. ‘Well that rhyme was definitely different. But in all fairness it does not give a lot of choices with direction so might as well. I mean it’s not like we’ll get lost that easily.’ He spoke as he raised his datapad with its new code before putting back into his pocket and walking down the right corridor of stone.

‘You know,’ He continued as he walked. ‘It’s weird to me that so many people think that there are only two choices with most things although I get why most would think that. Most of the time there’s three, four if you count going backwards but mostly three. There’s one side then the other and no one rarely see’s that there is the middle ground to go to. Same goes with the force as well actually.’

He started to rub his head when he came to a sort of mental block. ‘Ahhh, what was it that Randrow told me once? Umm, there’s freedom in death? Wait no that’s not right.’ But after a moment of thought, Magnus snapped his fingers. ‘Oh now I remember it.’

‘Flowing through all, there is balance

There is no peace without a passion to create

There is no passion without peace to guide

Knowledge stagnates without the strength to act

Power blinds without the serenity to see

There is freedom in life

There is a purpose in death

The Force is all things and I am the Force.’

‘A nice code don’t you think?’ Magnus asked his friends once he had finished. ‘Apparently there were a few Jedi who followed that and became known as gray Jedi and to me that sounds pretty good.’

• Like 1

Mirran Kai    59

Mirran shrugged. "I never said I agreed with the rhyme. I just remember it...I spent most of my time as a youngling with the Jedi. Rhymes are a good way to teach lessons to young children." 

She sighed. She remembered her mother hugging her and giving her to a Jedi named Lorcha Wan. The Jedi seemed to be a caretaker of sorts with several younglings. Lorcha had long braided braids that went down her back. Mirran remembered that she liked pulling on the braids to get her attention. She never really pulled too hard. But Mirran had been mesmerized by those clacking braids.

She looked thoughtful and then said. "Let's go...I...." She paused as she focused her Force Sight down the deepest corridor that she had chosen. "I feel something very strong down that way. Very powerful in the Force." 

She proceeded to walk down the hallway and she cringed suddenly. "Kinrath....I sense them...they are also down that way." 

Magnus immediately stopped at Mirran’s words. ‘... Oh come on we were doing so well.’

This recent development was something that he had hoped to avoid entirely. From what he heard Mirran say about them as well as his own knowledge, they didn’t exactly like guests in the caves with them, be it invited or otherwise. They weren’t actually defenceless against the creatures since they all did have some Force ability or another that will allow them to evade them or out run them if the situation arises, but since their blades were only for training they won’t really be effective. Luckily, Magnus always liked to be prepared.

As he removed his blaster hidden in the belt behind him, looking it over making sure it was in working order, he continued to moan slightly. ‘I mean we couldn’t have just gone to the waterfall, had fun and then leave. No, we had to run into damn Kinrath with their stupid poison attacks. Is it so hard to go into a cave and then get attack by a litter of puppies instead or anything that is adorable and friendly? I mean just once would be great.’

‘Ok, now that I’ve got the complaining out of the way quick question.’ Magnus turned and looked at his friends. ‘Are we all able to avoid them or out run them or anything like that?’

Char    28

Char sighed. He knew that this would happen. "I did warn you that those caves are off limits for a reason. We should run and escape. We are no match for them. I have memorized the way through which we came, so we should have no trouble finding our way out of this place."

Char held his training blade in his hands. While it wasn't much of a weapon, it still was something. He could use it to parry any attacks, although hopefully he would not have to actually use it. 

He could still remember the first time he had encountered the Kinrath. They poisoned him and he had been able to survive only thanks to Homra. Now, there was no true Jedi here to aid them so making a quick escape seemed to be the most sensible course of action for Char 

Mirran Kai    59

"You knew the risks when we came here, Char. You also know that I came here to see the crystal waterfall. I know you have no desire to see it. If you wish to leave, then so be it."

Mirran sighed, she knew it was foolish to stay here but she had to see this place. She also had the feeling it was close. The kinrath were merely a barrier to it. She paused. "I intend to go forward. I have anti-venom. The kinrath are blind...." She paused in contemplation. "Something I have in common with them, ironically enough, but they are drawn to heat. So if they are drawn to heat...then it's a good bet that they hate cold. We need to lower the temperature and mask our body temperatures."