Mirran Kai

When the Loth-Cat's away the Mice will....

Mirran Kai    54

Melona 8th, 3630 BBY

Since Mirran's time at the Enclave, she had managed to make friends. Considering all the three of them seemed to have developed or forged a strong bond with each other. Mirran had sent out a quiet comm message to two of them. It didn't say much but it was a friendly message. 

Looking for something to do today, my friends? I am inviting you to come with me today. Bring climbing gear, a backpack, and maybe a personal light source. I won't need it, but you might. Also, bring ration bars and some water. Meet me in the training fields after mid-morning meditation. 

Mirran 

Perhaps it was the friendship she had developed with the other two that made Mirran's quiet and reserved personality suddenly evaporate. Maybe it was the exuberance and playful nature of youth? Either way, Mirran had sent the invite out to her two friends, Magnus and Char. She was very careful in what plans she sent out to the other two initiates. Any Jedi Knight or Master would have called Mirran's idea today foolish, brainless, and smacking with pride, and perhaps even a bit defiant. Although, Mirran didn't feel any of those things. Frankly, she felt like this was an unofficial rite of passage where three friends could spend the time bonding and connecting with each other. 

So Mirran was in a bit of a daring mood and was waiting in the fields. She had programmed her protocol droid earlier with very specific instructions. If something happened during this escapade, the droid would go seek the attention of any random knight or administrator and tell them the situation, but only if Mirran did not report to the droid every hour and a half. This for the Miraluka was a safety precaution and the droid seemed to take delight in Mirran's plan. At last, something for it to do. Mirran had deactivated it's protective response, at least for the time being. She was tired of being smothered by its very 'parental programming'. There was only so much that the poor initiate could take and after it had run off in such a dithered response from Coventry's training she had had enough of it. Mirran reflected on the earlier moment.

The droid stated calmly. 

"Misstress I don't know what plans you have for today, but I will go with you as far as you wish." 

Mirran smiled softly. "Kaybee, you are going to be a safety net for me today. Just stay in my chambers receive my comm signals and if I don't report to you every hour and a half, fetch the nearest available help. You will be made aware of my plans, I've programmed a response to be revealed to you if this happens. Hopefully, you won't need it. But just in case, I've programmed you to take the appropriate steps." 

Mirran had her gear ready and her resolve prepared in the fields. Meanwhile, she waited for her two friends to come....

Edited by Mirran Kai
  • Like 2

Magnus walked towards the training fields with a backpack full of the things that Mirran suggested. Ration bars, water, a touch and some climbing gear. He was curious to see what Mirran had in mind for today, but her invitation didn’t say anything specific, well that wasn’t entirely true if you truly looked at her message. It was a quite message, meaning that whatever she had planned she wanted it to be just them, no one else, including higher ranked Jedi. Which meant that if they did know about it then they would probably stop them and give them a rather long lecture about how they should know better.

Magnus could also gain a general idea with what Mirran had said to bring, specifically the climbing gear. So with all that information, he had a pretty good idea where they were going. The crystal caves. He could be wrong of course, but unless there was something else that you shouldn’t climb up or down declared by the Jedi, then he didn’t know what they were doing. Still, if it was they Crystal caves, then he would defiantly like to explore down there, even for a small amount of time.

He saw Mirran just in front of him, waiting around with a similar backpack that Magnus had with what he assumed was her droid. He made his way up to her with a cheesy grin along with a silly salute. ‘Magnus Koaldor reporting to duty ma’am. I have brought all that you have requested ma’am.’ He laughed lightly and brought his hand down. ‘Sorry, couldn’t help myself. But I’m good to go. So what devious little scheme do you have planned that you don’t want people to know about? Hey, where’s Char?’

Mirran Kai    54

Of course, Magnus seemed to sense that this whole affair was illicit in some form or fashion. The message she gave was a bit fragmented. It gave no definite answers. Yet, Dantooine had some topography that wasn't all fields and grasslands. So there was the possibility that this adventure was to someplace else than the Crystal caves but...it was.

‘Magnus Koaldor reporting to duty ma’am. I have brought all that you have requested ma’am.’He laughed lightly and brought his hand down. ‘Sorry, couldn’t help myself. But I’m good to go. So what devious little scheme do you have planned that you don’t want people to know about? Hey, where’s Char?’

Mirran managed a smile. "Why do you assume that this whole thing is devious? Maybe under the radar but not devious. I programmed Kaybee...." She turned to the droid. "Go back to my chambers Kaybee...." 

The droid turned and went back to the Enclave.

As soon as the droid was gone and earshot away. I stated. "We are headed for the Crystal Caves, yes it is not permitted for initiates to go....but...I am intrested in exploring the caves a bit more. I brought climbing gear to do some climbing. As for Char...." 

She paused. "He has had some issues with the Order lately. I honestly hope he works them out, I worry."

Char    26

Char walked to the training fields. He was carrying with him a backpack containing a bottle of water, rations, a light source and climbing gear. Although Mirran's message did not mention what they were going to do, Char had good reason to believe that they would head to the Crystal Cave. Char was of course more than curious about the secrets of the cave. As such, he had decided to accept Mirran's invitation. Hopefully, he could get a crystal. That would prove useful. 

"Hello.", Char said, seeing Mirran and Magnus waiting for him. "It's a lovely day.  I hope you did not have to wait long for me to arrive. So, what exactly are we going to do? I assume that we will be heading to the Crystal Cave, right?". 

Mirran Kai    54

Mirran smiled and nodded before Char. "Anyway... I programmed Kaybee to alert others if I don't report every hour and a half. I have our safety very much in mind. So this isn't devious at all, Magnus. Kaybee doesn't know where we are headed and I rather he did not know. If I don't report in, he will suddenly be given an update to his cognitive function and he'll be alerted of our situation and go for help. He'd be more concerned but I sort of disabled some of his more protective functions. Kaybee was a gift from my parents. Apparently, my parents programmed him to watch after me. You know how parents or parental figures are? 

She then turned to Char. "Yes, we're going to the Crystal Caves. I packed a first aid kit, and I managed to swipe some anti-venom for the kinrath from the medical lab. So I have this pretty well planned out. I've heard rumors that there is a crystal waterfall somewhere deep in the depths of that crystal cave. Water flows down in the depths of the cave and splashes over the crystals. It is a sight to see, or so I have heard. I am sure it glows and pulses with the Force. However, I've heard that getting there is not easy. The path is rough, and probably kinrath are drawn to it as well. It's probably a journey for either padawan or knights to take. Yet...I desire to see it. If either of you wishes to back out I understand."

‘If either of you wishes to back out I understand.’

Magnus laughed lightly at Mirran’s response. ‘You’re joking right? The fact that we showed up with gear already having guessed that we were going to the caves and haven’t told anyone should already tell you that we’re good to go. If a friend asks you to tag along with something like this, then you make sure that you do everything you can do make sure that things end up alright. I mean, what are friends for right?’

‘Besides,’ Magnus continued. ‘it’ll be good to hang out with you guys and relax for a bit. Stuff like this helps to clear the mind of troubles for a little while. So come on, let’s get this show on the road, or cavern I guess, maybe pathway? Do you call the floor of the cave a road or pathway? Wait I’m getting off topic here, let’s just do this.’ Magnus knew that it was always a good idea to relax every now and again, get a new perspective on a problem that was bugging you and end up solving it from that new point of view. And maybe this would help with Char out a little with whatever issues he had with the Order.

He knew that they hadn’t known each other for very long, this little group of three, but Magnus truly believed that they all made a true bond of friendship with each other despite the short amount of time. And if Magnus could help them out with whatever problems they had, they wouldn’t have to even ask before he was there, providing whatever assistance he could give.

Char    26

"I have always wanted to venture into the cave, so I am not backing out.", Char said. "And, as you know, I am not really fond of following the rules." 

Char wasn't interested in either the cave water nor in having fun. He was far more intrigued by the prospect of snatching a crystal. Magnus and Mirran wouldn't have to know, although even if they did find out what Char was planning, he was confident that they wouldn't rush to report it considering the fact that this whole trip was not approved by the Council. 

For now though, Char put up a smile and said "Shall we get going? We don't have all day, do we? So we should waste no time. The sooner we get to the cave, the more time we can spend there."

Mirran Kai    54

Mirran shrugged at the answers her friends had stated. She then smiled. "Standard disclaimers apply. I gave you the warnings. If we get into any trouble during this trip...well we all accept the responsibility for those actions. Very well, we all know the risks of this trip. So now that we have that settled. Let's go. And I am not opposed if one of us find anything fascinating in the cave, such as a lightsaber crystal and wishes to keep it. This trip is what it is...I have no desire to find a lightsaber crystal at this time. I wish to save that experience for a later time. The last time I was in the cave the crystals all wanted me to claim them." She chuckled. "They were like warm puppies wanting to crawl into my lap. I suspect the reaction will be the same for me. So it will take a unique crystal indeed for me to claim one. Yet nothing is stopping either one of you from doing so." 

She shifted her pack on her back and began the journey. 

Magnus laughed at Mirran’s description. ‘Warm puppies? Ahhh. They sound adorable. Guys, we should adopt them. Like a good 5, no 6, no even better. 8.’ But even with his joking tone, he was still excited to explore the caves, see its wonders and hopefully avoid the creatures inside. But he wouldn’t take anything he didn’t need like any other crystals except for the one that sang the most true to him, except from that, he’ll leave everything else alone. To him, it didn’t make sense to take someone else’s crystal, it belonged to the being with the same force presence as it had. In his mind, it was pretty much stealing and he didn’t agree with that most of the time, unless it was a situation truly required it.

‘So come on slow pocks. Last on there is a rotten egg!’ He said excitedly, running off in front of them only to end up taking about ten strides before stopping and going back with a sheepish grin. ‘I just realised that I have no idea how to get to the caves from here, so you guys lead. Then we’ll race there once it’s in sight.’

Char    26

Char smiled a bit when he heard Mirran referring to crystals as puppies. For Char, crystals were tools to be used in the construction of a lightsaber. He wasn't really interested in a crystal calling to him; once inside the cave, he planned to take whichever crystals he liked. He would certainly take more than one.

Char walked slowly forward. He had no desire to run. Nor did he have any interest in getting inside the cave first. He would prefer to go in last. This way, if there was any danger, he wouldn't be the one to face it and it would make a retreat easier, if one was needed. Magnus asked them to lead the way; Char did so. He followed the same path that he had followed when he had gone to the caves with Homra. He still remembered that day. He had almost been arrested by Homra. After some walking, they finally reached the entrance.

"Here is the entrance", he said, pointing at it. "You should go first. I will be following closely behind."

Mirran Kai    54

‘Warm puppies? Ahhh. They sound adorable. Guys, we should adopt them. Like a good 5, no 6, no even better. 8.

Mirran chuckled lightly. "The crystals or the Force within the Crystals likes me, I guess. Plus I'll always remember that they helped me when I was with Homra my last training session." 

Mirran held a hand up. "Hold on....let me....see." 

Mirran stood by the entrance and focused her Force sight into the dark blackness of the cave. She let it bounce off the walls and it came back lighting up the cave. No Kinrath that she could sense or see....at least not at the moment. Mirran had a vibroblade with her since a training saber would have been useless at this time against a kinrrath. 

"It's clear... for now. No kinrath at the moment. Yet, I think they end up burrowing in crevices in the rocks and they may even hibernate. This makes locating them kind of difficult. Anyway, it's safe for now." 

Mirran walked into the cave, she could hear the dripping of water as water dripped down the cave walls. 

Edited by Mirran Kai
Forgot to add a response to Magnus.

‘Hey no fair.’ Magnus said as he jogged to Mirran while he pretended to sulk with his arms crossed. ‘I wanted to go into the Cave first and possibly be attacked by spider like creatures that give you nightmares for the rest of your life.’

He paused for a moment. ‘Oh yeah that happened already with the Krykna before I even got here. Oh well, at least I’m not a rotten eye like someone behind us. Come on Char, where here for a little fun so get some get up and go in you ok.’

Curiously, Magnus extended his sense when he entered the cave. Partly to see if there were any Kinrath around which he couldnt, he knew that Mirran’s sight was probably far better than his Force sense but he liked feeling helpful so if he could do even a tiny bit then that was enough for him. And the other reason was to feel the Force around him. He felt Mirran’s and Char’s presence immediately, feeling their connection to the Force and a little about how they think. For Mirran, it was what you expected, a little shy sure but underneath she really was a kind and noble person, as for Char though, something seemed a little... off but he couldn’t quite put his finger on it. Mirran had said that Char was having problems with the Order so maybe that had something to do with it.

He didn’t give it much more thought as he felt what was laying at the end of his senses. ‘Whoa, you weren't kidding about the crystals were you Mirran. Even from here I can sense them and boy do they feel like their alive, their practically dripping with the Force.’

side note: Force sense active

Mirran Kai    54

‘Oh  yeah that happened already with the Krykna before I even got here. Oh well, at least I’m not a rotten eye like someone behind us. Come on Char, where here for a little fun  so get some get up and go in you ok.’

Mirran chuckled lightly. "Yes...Char is the way over cautious one. Perhaps he is scared of his last visit he had in these caves. We do all the work, Magnus making sure that all is safe and well and he follows like a timid little field mouse. Come on, Char...are you a man or a mouse?" The last words were in jest and teasing. She knew that Char was capable of so much more than at present but tended to hide himself and his abilities.

Char    26

Char followed Mirran and Magnus into the cave. He knew better than to be overexcited. The cave was off limits for initiates for a reason. Char knew only too well the danger of Kinrath. He was in the cave for the crystals, not to get killed. Magnus and Mirran did tease him for his cautiousness. "I am alive", he replied to Mirran, "and I would like to remain that way."

Char was cautious of his surroundings. He was looking around and moving slowly, silently. His expression was serious. He was studying the place, memorizing it in case he needed to make a fast retreat or if he had to come back some other time. "Making lots of noise in a place filled with Kinrath is not the best way to proceed.", he said. "Alerting your enemy of your movements is the best way to end up injured or worse. This place is off limits for a reason. Caution is necessary in such a situation."

As Char walked forward, he could feel the crystals. He didn't show it and his face was bland but he felt a sense of delight that he was so close to acquiring a few crystals. He would grab one or two for personal use and another crystal to be kept in case of an emergency. He knew that he could make a good price out of it; if he was ever in dire need of money, a crystal could save him.

Last time he had visited the caves, he had allowed his emotions to show in the crystals and that had almost gotten him arrested. Now, he was far more cautious. As he walked deeper into the cave, and closer to where the crystals were, he began playing a game of Pazaak in his mind. After having used this trick more than a couple of times, Char was by now pretty good at hiding his thoughts and emotions.

• Like 1

‘Don’t worry too much Char.’ Magnus said to reassure his friend. ‘If these guys are anything like Krykna then as long as we give them plenty of space and show them that we mean no harm then we will be fine. But if that doesn’t work I do have a little trick as a last option.’ He stopped himself there and looked away from them while he scratched his copper hair with a bit of anxiety. He wondered if he should tell them about that particular ability he had, after all it wasn’t highly regarded in the Jedi Order since some anger was used to make it work. But he made sure that he was always careful when using it, always thinking about happy memories so that the anger didn’t take any form of a hold on him and only used to power the ability.

He took a breath. They are my friends; they have a right to know.

‘Hey guys...,’ He began uncertainly. ‘have you ever heard of an ability called Force shock? It’s an ability that uses a small amount of angry to releases a single current or a ball of electricity towards a close target where it can stun or temporarily hurt someone and, well you see..., I..., I can do it.’

He then panicked slightly and raised his hands to shake them from side to side. ‘But I swear I’ve never used it to hurt anyone or will use it to hurt anyone. I only use it to disable electronics or stun or scare creatures like Krykna away if they are hostile and when I do use it I make sure that I’m very careful that the angry mess with me by thinking about happy memories to act like a counter measure to keep it in check. I would never try any of the really big stuff, I stay clear of that.’

Magnus’s hands started to fiddle with themselves. ‘And well, since I consider you guys as my friends, I thought that you should know that about me. Please don’t think of me differently because of it, I’m still me, that guy who tries to make jokes when he can, you know.’ He wondered worryingly if they did change their minds about him. He didn’t want that to happen obviously but if it did, then he would respect their decisions and their wishes if they wanted him to stay away.

• Like 1

Char    26

Char simply smiled. He had expressed a similar view on the Force himself, that Jedi should use their emotions when in danger to strengthen themselves, and he had gotten into a debate about it. Needless to say that this debate did not end well, especially after Char bragged about having read Sith philosophical texts. Nevertheless, Char found it to be intellectually stimulating; he loved rhetoric and philosophical debates. "Trust me, it is better to keep such views to yourself. Although I have to admit that arguing with Giran was fun."

Mirran Kai    54

Mirran shook her head. She had her own thoughts about Char and his philosophical discussion with Knight Giran. While she agreed that the Force was so much more complex than the Light or the Dark. Yet, she couldn't help but think that Char's balance and vision was going far too close to one end of the Force. Going too close to one end or the other was dangerous. Mirran knew this, one could be fanatic about either side of the Force. She vowed she'd never would be so fanatical about the Light or the Dark. Overall, she tended to think more in a middle-light or a middle-lightish grey. Mirralukans tended to think more of overall balance and acknowledging that the Force had equal parts Light and Dark in the galaxy and without either the galaxy would be skewed to an unhealthy scale or balance.  Yet, it was so easy....to let one's own balance go too far in either direction. She ended up disagreeing with Char's points during Knight Giran's discussion.

She stated briskly, "We haven't come to discuss the finer points of the Force." 

She proceeded to go in further in the cave and tried to breathe and center herself within the Force. She needed to let such attachments to things go. She needed to focus on this trip. If she allowed herself to be distracted, they could end up in serious trouble. Breathe....Mirran breathe....

She had come to a familiar segment of the cave, where she and Homra had found the crystals of the cave. She lightly touched the crystals with her mind and they responded filling her with their energy and she smiled and forgot her displeasure at Char. 

• Like 1

"We haven't come to discuss the finer points of the Force." 

Oh great, we haven’t been here for even 5 minutes and I’ve already started an argument. Magnus hated it when stuff like this happened, even more so if he had somehow started it even by accident. He know that sometimes when stuff like this comes up you had to deal with it, but there are times and places and this was neither of those options, they were here for fun so he felt like he had to rectify this mistake he had caused.

He moved over to Mirran where she seemed to be more relaxed and spoke. ‘Hey, Mirran. I’m...,’ he stopped himself. He show her smile and he immediately knew that she had obviously moved on from the conversation, so apologising now would probably not have the right intention that he wanted it to. I’ll say sorry after we’re out of here. For now just focus on having fun.

‘..., I’m wondering, what’s all the fuss about the crystal waterfall? I mean, I haven’t heard of it so can you drink it or is there like a pool near it were you can go for a swim or something, I mean what are the rules? I mean if there’s a pool then I’m unprepared. I haven’t even brought a towel or anything with me, or even a set of spare clothes. You know what, I’m just going to do both anyways. I mean I can just get out of my robes and go in my light armour then change out of that. Thank the Force that I have it on me all the time.’

Edited by Magnus Koaldor

Mirran Kai    54

‘Hey, Mirran. I’m...,’

Mirran paused and sighed. "I apologize for my actions, Magnus but Char and I had a major disagreement regarding his positions on the Force. I find his views a bit...well that isn't for me to say." She wanted to say she found his views a bit too radical even for her own views. "Suffice it to say, our last philosophical discussion with Knight Giran was..." She paused, "Too schismatic but I am not here to rehash or open old wounds." 

..., I’m wondering, what’s all the fuss about the crystal waterfall? I mean, I haven’t heard of it so can you drink it or is there like a pool near it were you can go for a swim or something, I mean what are the rules? I mean if there’s a pool then I’m unprepared. I haven’t even brought a towel or anything with me, or even a set of spare clothes. You know what, I’m just going to do both anyways. I mean I can just get out of my robes and go in my light armour then change out of that. Thank the Force that I have it on me all the time.’

"I....I don't know. I found information about this waterfall in an old forgotten Holocron in the archives. I have never been there of course. It sounds like it may be a forgotten tunnel system of the caves but it came from an obscure journaled text. It was from a Jedi named Pala Jah. She mentions that she was looking for her lightsaber Crystal but none of the Crystals were the right fit for her. She journeyed further into the cave, further than most and discovered this waterfall that poured water all over the crystals. She said she found her lightsaber crystal in this previously unknown part of the cave. No other Jedi has found it and...well Pala didn't exactly record any map coordinates. She claims she used the Force to guide her to it. It sounds like one part myth and one part truth. If we could find this cave....then we would be considered well...can you imagine a bunch of crystals that haven't been touched by any Jedi for a long time? The Force would be unquestionably strong there. 

Char    26

"You should go ahead and search for the waterfall.", Char said. He wanted Mirran and Magnus to leave him alone with the crystals. That way, he would have an easier time attaining  them. "I will remain here for a while to rest. I will be joining you soon though."

Char put up a smile as he talked and tried to look as sincere as possible.

Edited by Char