Homra Azner    83

Helona 35 3630BBY
Training Area, Dantooine Enclave

Homra stood at the Enclave's entrance, waiting patiently for the next initiate. He had read some of Giran's reports about 

@Magnus Koaldor, another one of the newly arrived initiates. Giran had a few notes about the initiate and what they last discussed, so the Echani was taking his time in reviewing everything in preparation for the assignment.

What the Sentinel had been doing so far was starting to feel like a routine, but it seemed to be working fine. Besides, it was one of the few times he could get fresh air after days spent inside his office with recycled air for company. He could stretch his legs then and get to explore the caves, even if he could navigate it totally blind.

He gave his datapad another check, noting the time stamp on when he sent the initiate the missive to meet him outside. It wouldn't take that long, and Magnus can try sparring or interacting with his fellow initiates once it's over.

Magnus started running as soon as he received the message from the knight. He knew that he could have walked to where he specified to meet and still have plenty of time to do whatever he wanted to do afterwards, but he didn’t like wasting other people’s time. It may have seemed strange to others who know that he was isolated on a planet with another sentient being nearby all the time, but even then Magnus would do what he asked when he asked it so that no time was unnecessarily wasted.

But he knew that in some situations that time was needed, no matter how long it took. Just like with his phasing ability, he couldn’t do it right the first time, he couldn’t get a simple finger through a pebble on his first few tries which lasted for weeks. But eventually, little by little, he had managed to move his finger through the pebble, then his fist through a wall and then his entire body. He still worked to push this ability further, for it to become stronger and more versatile, but that required time and Magnus can wait long enough.

He saw the Jedi standing at the Enclave’s entrance, looking at his datapad, when Magnus approached him with a bit of a pant to regain his slight lost of oxygen. ‘Hi knight Azner..., I’m Magnus Koaldor. I hope I didn’t keep you waiting for too long, I’m still trying to find my sense of direction in this place.’ He replied with a slight smile, his hand out stretched for a handshake.

Homra Azner    83

"It's alright, first few weeks here and the only route I knew was from my room to the archives," Homra replied with a grin. Jedi usually greeted each other with a vow, but the Echani wasn't really one for tradition. So he took Magnus' hand in a firm, but friendly grip. "A lot get lost when they first arrive here, but in time... perhaps you'd become more familiar, Initiate Koaldor."

Homra let go and put both hands behind his back. Their business in the caves was, more or less, an assessment. "Alright, so before we begin, I'd like to ask a few things. Your previous instructor, Knight Antur, filled me up on a few details. However, I'd like to hear a few things for myself."

"Before you arrived in the Enclave, what was it that you used to do? Any expectations or aspirations from the Order? And where would you like to go afterwards?" Homra was light and casual with his line of questions, and he made sure to exude a calm and encouraging aura. The Jedi's impression of  Magnus was that he seemed cheerful and friendly - good traits for Jedi inclined for diplomacy and negotiation.

Magnus didn’t really need to think of an answer since he would just be repeating himself, the only difference was that he was telling it to a different person who already knew about what he said since he said he chatted to Knight Antur. It did annoy him that he would have to repeat himself but he didn’t mind. It was one of those necessary things that one would have to do in their life.

He smiled. ‘Well considering that you’re a Knight and I’m assuming you have access to my information as well as Knights Antur, that I don’t have to assume, you already know most of those answers. Before the Order I was stuck on a planet for ten years with only one other Force sensitive being around and he taught me about the Force. As for expectations from the Order I assume you already know about my views on the Force and how I believe that they will receive opposition, but I also expect to help alot of people while I am a Jedi. Preferably through peaceful methods. And as for what I want to do afterwards, nothing will change. I will still want to help others whenever I can.’

Homra Azner    83

"I do, but I wanted to hear it from you." Homra's tone was blithe and casual, and he did wave his hand disarmingly. "What he gave is just a facet to a whole."

The Echani did not elaborate, and simply let Magnus to puzzle that one out for himself. He sensed a quick flare of... something from the initiate - irritation, perhaps? Either way, it doesn't seem something to be extremely serious, but Magnus will soon learn that having an enormous reserve of patience was vital in being Jedi. Well, Homra wasn't exactly a paragon of patience, but he liked to think of himself of having enough to be considered as halfway decent. He does have his... buttons, but it would have to take a particularly offensive question to have him irritated.

"Your goals and desire to help others are admirable, and so does resolving issues through peaceful methods." Homra hummed lightly. "Although, my only advise for now is to remember that sometimes, good intentions can turn south if one isn't careful or vigilant."

Gesturing towards Magnus to follow, Homra began to walk towards the Crystal Caves' direction. "I suppose that's all I want to know currently. So! Have you heard about the Crystal Caves?"

‘You’re kidding right?’ Magnus replied with a smile. ‘Who doesn’t know about the Caves? It’s the main place where Jedi go to collect their kyber crystals to start working on their own lightsaber, I was told that the crystals in the caves had the same Force presence as other Force sensitive’s that helps them to find their crystals easier.’

‘Although, Mirran did say that there were these creatures in there that can poison you. That’s the only thing that doesn’t sound great about the Caves. She even had a theory that they could consume the Force and the crystals and that’s how their eggs produce red crystals. Have you met her? She’s pretty nice.’ He finished with a happy smile when he remembered his first meeting with the shy girl.

‘Wait, are we going in there so I can get my crystal? Because if so that’s so cool!!’ Magnus almost shouted with excitement, he hands shaking with it as well.

Homra Azner    83

"Someone's been in the archives," Homra teased. It's good to hear that there were initiates expressing interest in learning more about where they came from and trying to understand the significance of their new home. It wasn't Tython, but Dantooine was going to be the home for future generations of Jedi. "It's still a pilgrim site and rite of passage for Padawans, and where they will get their future crystals for their lightsabers."

'Although, Mirran did say that there were these creatures in there that can poison you. That’s the only thing that doesn’t sound great about the Caves. She even had a theory that they could consume the Force and the crystals and that’s how their eggs produce red crystals."

The sun was high up in the sky, but Dantooine's plains always had refreshing breezes passing through. The air was just warm enough and Homra found himself taking in a deep breath as he continued to walk towards the cave while talking to Magnus. "Yes, those would be the Kinrath. They have been living within the cave systems for an indefinite amount of time. It's possible that they're able to partially corrupt crystals, but there's still research done on how is it done exactly and if it could be reversed."

"Have you met her? She’s pretty nice.’ 

"She's rather shy, but I think interacting with other initiates will help her overcome it. And yes, she is kind, and I think she'd be a fine addition to the order." Homra's tone was serene, with just a small hint of pride and fondness in them.

‘Wait, are we going in there so I can get my crystal? Because if so that’s so cool!!’

At this, the Sentinel's mouth twitched to a frown, and his expression turned apologetic. He scratched the back of his neck, and replied in a calm voice. "Well... not exactly - Padawans, Knights, and Masters are the only ones allowed to retrieve a crystal at this moment. However, we're here to do a quick exercise.  I also want to see if there's at least one that resonates or has the capability to bond with you - for future reference."

Homra stopped once he reached the mouth of the cave, can already smell the musk and stagnant water from outside. It was dark at the first few meters of the tunnel, but he could see distant specks of multi-colored lights coming from the crystals.

"We're here. Before we go in, anything you'd like to ask or do before we start?"

Magnus took a look at the entrance of the smile with excitement. ‘Nah, I’m good. Let’s just get this show on the road, to be fair I just can’t wait to get in there. I hear that it’s quite a thing to sense the crystals in there. So please, after you.’

Homra Azner    83

CC.jpg.61a03c1d90e09b6c10c0ebc3c382d9fa.

"Good, off we go then." Motioning for the initiate to follow, the Echani activated the lamp and then stepped inside.

The caves were, as always, musty and dank. Homra had a torch with him so that Magnus could at least see where they were going. Technically, the Echani did not need a light source to avoid the puddles full of stagnant water and whatever microbes present in them. The constant sound of water dripping down stalactites was almost rhythmic, but not quite. Still, the more Homra ventured down to these caves, the more he questioned the structural integrity. Then again, he wouldn't be surprised if the Force was the only thing that kept the Enclave from collapsing on itself.

There weren't much crystal formations close to the mouth, but as the Jedi headed deeper, clusters of the precious rocks began to line the rough surface. They weren't all that bright, but they did provide spots of color in the otherwise dark cave. It took some time before Homra reached the clearing.

It was an enormous space, mostly dry, and with various openings leading to a network of tunnels that intersected or lead to dead ends. There were at least a dozen new ones every month, thanks to the kinrath, and it's rare for anyone inexperienced to venture deeper since anyone could get lost or end up swarmed by the overgrown insects.

"Alright, so this is pretty straightforward. Just meditate right at the center, I'll be observing and see how things go from there." The Echani gestured towards the center, and then padded his way towards an enormous cluster of adegan crystals. He tried not to lean on the walls, since he didn't want to get dirt on his clothes or damage his armor, but his back was relaxed and his feet were apart.

As Magnus entered deeper into the cave with the Jedi knight, he started to notice the clusters of gems around them and it was probably one of the most impressive sights he has seen, although the sun sets he saw back on the planet with his master Randrow was still his favourite, the crystals did not disappoint. They seemed to give off their own light slightly, shinning off a spectrum of colours off of the rough, dark walls of the cave. Curiously, he reached out with his Force sense to be greeted with a feeling like he was surrounded by a group of people, each one different in one way or another, never the same. This made sense to Magnus since he knew that each of these crystals belongs or will belong to some future Force sensitive at some point.

He tried to feel around to see if he could find his own crystal, or crystals if he was extremely lucky, but ended up feeling nothing that felt familiar to him amongst the crystals around him. It wouldn’t be that easy. If it was then where’s the fun. He thought to himself with a slight chuckle.

When they entered the clearing Magnus immediately gave some of the tunnels around them a knowing glance. ‘Guessing the critters in here like to explore around a bit huh? They must be tough to be able to tunnel through the rock here.’ He commentated and gestured to some of the scratches around some of the tunnels that he could see. ‘Reminds me of the Krykna back in my old stomping grounds. Have you ever seen one before?’

"Alright, so this is pretty straightforward. Just meditate right at the center, I'll be observing and see how things go from there."

Magnus walked straight towards the middle of the clearing and sat down and tried and failing to find a comfy spot on the hard floor. ‘So what exactly do I do? Do I meditate towards a certain area or spread my awareness or just become a statue that becomes the backgrounds of peoples pictures? If they come in here that is and don’t mind the creepy crawlies of course.’ Never the less, he closed he eyes and began to relax.

• Like 1

Homra Azner    83
Spoiler

Sorry about the long time it took to reply... >.<

"Ah no, I don't think I've ever seen such." Well if it was the sort that liked dark and damp places, Homra wasn't enthusiastic with meeting one at all. Still, he was interested to learn more about the initiate. "What was your home like though? I don't know much about your home planet."

"As for the meditation... We could start by spreading your awareness within the general area." The Echani gestured around themselves. He shifted a little on his foot, and double checked his datapad another time. "Interact with the crystal here and if you could reach farther, that works too."

If Magnus managed to interact with the crystals, that meant Homra could proceed with the next order of business on what he could do with the initiate. Hopefully, they won't attract the kinrath. A Knight and an initiate couldn't really fight off plenty of them, and it was better being safe than sorry. Besides, training sabers couldn't really do much against giant spiders that laid eggs with red crystals.

Homra observed the initiate who already had his eyes shut, and shifted on his feet again. "I'll be here and will keep an eye out for giant cave insects, and I'll let you know when to stop."

‘Oh well originally I was from Corelli but I ended up on some rock when I was around..., four I think. I never actually did find out what the planet was called I really should look into it.’ He mentioned as he stated to focus his attention towards one of the crystals closest to him.

It didn’t take that long for him to sense it, it was somewhere to his right. It didn’t take much to feel the Force coming from the rock as if another person was just standing there, waiting for the right person to find them. It was incredible for him to feel how the small crystal felt, how it seemed to hold so much life despite it being an object; it all just brought a small smile to his features.

Once his senses reached close enough to the crystal, he reached out a sort of hand with the force towards it and lightly touched it. Suddenly within his mind eye, he saw a light the glowed warmly, flowed with the Force as if it was the most natural thing that it can do, just like breathing. Within Magnus’s mind, he lifted out a hand and lightly touched it and was flooded with happy and calm memories.

It took him by surprise that these where his memories, as it seemed that the crystal was acting like a mental mirror, all the different times that just made him happy. The time he watched a sunrise for what felt like the first time, meeting his friends for the first time and, something that brought a small sad smile to his face, when his mother was reading him a bedtime story. He never could remember what she was reading to him, he was a child back then after all, but he remembered that he felt safe, like nothing bad could have happened to him as long as she was there.

So if you’re here, he thought to himself, then where’s...,

No sooner had he thought the thought, he found it. In his mind’s eye, he saw collection of shadow that seemed attached to the light, swirling slightly. He was a little hesitant at first, but he slowly reach out and lightly grazed its dark surface and with no surprise at all, memories of his dark times came flooding into his mind. But even when he knew what was going to happen, he still flinched slightly as he remembered how scared and alone he had felt when he was hurtling towards a planet , how wet his checks were when he saw the fiery inferno engulf the ship with his parents still aboard.

He pulled his hand back from the dark patch of his mind and looked at it with his mind’s eye. It still hurt, whenever he thought about them, it still clawed at his heart with its pain. It will never stop hurting he knew, it will still happen but he was getting better at dealing with it so that it couldn’t use him. And it was working, he had in fact used it plenty of times when needed with his Force shock ability and when he did, he made sure that this little dark part of himself was never in control, that it would never change him.

He smiled slightly. I will never forget you but you will never define me.

• Like 1