Karter    126

Intent: To create a deadly heavy blaster rifle available to all sides

Manufacturer: Blastech.

Affiliation: Any

Production Rate: Limited Quantity.

Weapon Type: Rifle

Weapon Sub-type: None.

Materials: Durasteel, electronic components, synthetic materials

Modifications: The HPOR--SF comes with an improved power pack, galvanizer and lens assembly based partly on older Mandalorian Assault Rifle designs, giving it immense power. A enhanced zoom/vision scope is installed, and can serve as a sniper rifle in an emergency. But otherwise has limited modifications that can be applied beyond improving the Ammunition capacity.

Weapon Rating: High Quality

Weapon Appearance: Think a  more sci-fi, slightly bulky looking carbine version of the RL Scar-H Rifle with an enhanced scope on it and a large looking carbine barrel in black along with a black frame.

Strengths:

Powerful: The HPO is one of the most powerful rifles a soldier can carry that isn't a repeating cannon. Its shots are powerful, about sixty percent the strength of an average shot from a charric rifle. Even those who wear high quality heavy armor still fear the incredible heat transfer of the weapon, which threatens to roast skin. Its a great anti-personnel weapon and can wear down shields in one to two direct hits, and melt durasteel armor.

Enhanced Function: Its scope allows for zoom function, which can turn it into an emergency sniper weapon. It also comes with basic thermal vision.

Compact: The heavy rifle was built to be easily manuvered with indoors, with an eye towards ending a fight quickly.

Good at medium ranges: The power of the rifle and is accuracy, along with a compact nature mean the HPO can engage targets at medium ranges within reason of the weapons specific specialties.

Good for Urban/Enclosed spaces. The rifle was designed for pushing through tight chokepoint defenses with overwhelming firepower, or defending against attack in a fortified position. It is a weapon that can be used to lay siege or push back skirmishes.

Weaknesses:

Heavy Recoil: The rifle is best used by a trained shooter. The recoil is very high, and this forces the operator to fire relatively slow controlled shots, lest the recoil become unmanageable.

Limited ammo: The amount of power to fire its heavy damage shots limits one to forty shots, meaning a missed shot on a fast moving target is costly. 

Limited modability: Due to the designs clearly having  aspects of Mandalorian tech, the rifle was made as portable as could be allowed but the compact components that enable it to fire with such fantastic power have made sure it will be very difficult to modify, as one must be quite familiar with the design to even increase the efficiency of its ammo consumption, and seeing as how this is an experimental military weapon barely out of prototyping before it started being sold, the weapon as is hardly makes the effort worth it.

Weight: The weapon weighs nearly two point five times more than a regular blaster rifle, and that becomes a problem the longer combat goes on. Ones arms tire faster, and their aim gets more affected as they heft it. The weight helps counter balance the recoil but it doesn't do it well enough to make aiming easier as time goes on.

Poor at prolonged combat: The weapon is good for the more focused operations of a special forces group but in a prolonged situation from dozens of potential enemies attacking all at once, the weapons slow rate of fire, severe cost of missing a shot, and its own niche specialties catch up to it.

Description: The Heavy Point Offense Rifle--Special Forces is a curiosity in the post war environment. It appears to be a kind of heavy blaster carbine. Blastech Scientists used proprietary experimental tech to reduce its size, while also barrowing from ancient Mandalorian Assault rifle designs based on captured models sold by anonymous gun collectors. Republic Intelligence thinks the weapon was meant to be issued to soldiers stationed at military checkpoints, before its excellent performance indoors and defending small enclosures, as well as immense stopping power, caused it to be reclassified for SF operations. Test models experimented with show certain weaknesses, such as prolonged combat, limited ammo, weight, and recoil limit the weapon to medium or small scale skirmishes and ambushes. Understandably, the release of this design onto the market was met with joy by the elite mercenary demographic, though its high cost ensures only the most well off clients can afford to purchase it.

Edited by Karter

Darth Atrox    700

To save Je'ka from dealing with another PM chain, I am bringing this to the writers' help desk.

My first question is; did you do research on charric weapons before making this submission? That is my biggest concern since charric technology specifically is for short range combat and has a reason for wearing down Jedi and applying "kinetic force" when blocked.

Another thing, why does it need to cause galactic wide issues?

Edited by Darth Atrox

Karter    126

If it doesn't work that can be changed. But in truth i didn't see its backstory as anything but flavor text on what seemed to me to be a minor political scandal, one that, while embarrassing, I simply didn't think would have that kind of range in terms of far reaching effect. Its essentially just a military prototype that got released on the black market.

Way I saw it, the empire just fell, everybody who can is snatching all the elite grade loot from the empires corpse, so I figure something like this slipping through the cracks would not be that far fetched. 

as for its appearance, yes, I was thinking the scar h cqc variant in terms of aesthetics, but slightly thicker looking at the barrel and stock. Instead of a high power scope how about a thermal or night scope and no zoom? That way while its powerful and accurate its only good at short to medium ranges. I kinda wanted a designated marksman type thing, and the rest of the strengths and weaknesses accordingly?

Je'ka Cuyot    126

So that's then not a designated marksman thing, not meant for longer ranges than a standard rifle. Seems like you're looking for more of a heavy weapon vibe here. The backstory would, as you've got it, cause a rather large problem across the galaxy. You've got one of the Big Three arms corporations messed up, a species angered, bringing in thousands upon thousands of beings... for a rifle. It's a bit much.  And how is the Empire getting Chiss technology? And if they were working on some sort of secret prototype weapon, you certainly wouldn't find it on Balmorra, which was used for mass production. 

Karter    126

Well all of the background can be changed, but as for the Empire getting chiss technology, I had been thinking, well, exchanges between them can't be in a vacuum. Someone must have taken apart a charric somewhere at some point. I could say it was born from an Imperial study of maser-related tech if that would make it easier.

As for the strengths and weaknesses, I could just make it a high powered short to medium range weapon and adjust its specs?

Je'ka Cuyot    126

The problem isn't reverse engineering Chiss tech- well, not the biggest problem. Actually, let's cover that first. As you have it written, it really hasn't got all that much charric in it. You've come up with a heavy blaster. Why must it be born of all this intrigue, instead of BlasTech deciding hey, let's just make a powerful blaster? And why is this major arms corporation using some weird prototype designs from the Empire when they could do the work themselves?

And then there's the whole black market replication thing. Who are these "black market manufacturers" that have the capability to manufacture such sophisticated weaponry? Why wouldn't some criminal just buy the BlasTech version, with tangible quality control? 

Karter    126

Well, as to why Blastech would use imperial designs, I was trying to draw on real life in how governments and companies sometimes reverse engineer captured enemy tech to improve their one, like how the soviets captured motor cycle and rocket factories. Or Operation Paperclip.

I can drop the whole black market manufacturing thing, say its just a newly released though very expensive Blastech product based of captured Imperial Blueprints from whatever planet or section of the empire handled that sort of thing but I still would like it to retain a heavy kinetic effect on lightsabers.

Je'ka Cuyot    126

The absolute last corporation anyone would let have such things would be BlasTech- well, them and Merr-Sonn, because they don't care at all who's buying their stuff. They sell to whoever. The Republic isn't just going to let them have it. If you're thinking Paperclip or the Soviet equivalents, notice how they didn't just hand all that shit to an independent party, and how corporate espionage in those areas was handled. Also, the Sith Empire was not Nazi Germany, obsessed with wunderwaffe. Actually, you'll find that if you look at the Empire we had, they did almost the opposite of that, simply overwhelming with numbers. The only thing that could be construed as something like that would be the Limitless. There's not just a ton of experimental war winning technology sitting around. The Empire didn't have to deal with the same sort of looming threat the Third Reich did. They weren't beset on all sides by superior industrial power, forced to make small numbers count. They didn't need rocket-powered interceptors, gigantic super-heavy tanks, superguns, Amerika Bombers, none of that. 

Perhaps the core issue here is just... Why? You want a weapon capable of messing with lightsaber wielders OOC, I get that. But what's the IC reasoning? It just seems to be "I want a gun that can cause problems for Jedi", and for some reason sonic weapons, slugthrowers, repeaters, and heavy blasters don't fit the bill.

Karter    126

Well, I didn't want it to be solely to cause problems for Jedi, but a powerful accurate weapon good against most targets, but not completely overpowered. If it really is too much problem i can lose the kinetic impact feature, just have it be a really powerful rifle with the previous medium range features I suggested, just have it be a Blastech model.

Darth Tanit    464

One of the issues that doesn't seem to have been addressed is the matter of effective range on this weapon. The Charric itself is not meant to be a long or even medium range weapon. In the scope of things that can fire at distance, the Charric pistol only had an effective range of eight meters; less than ten yards, or roughly twenty-five feet. That is not exactly a medium range environment when taking into consideration that the people who would consider themselves fighting men could hit just about anybody at twenty-five feet regardless of the weapon. Purpose built or not it would likely never achieve medium range without being upsized to the point that the weapons bulk itself would make it a heavy weapon rather than a rifle.

The other issue seems to be the reason for creation. If you want a powerful and accurate weapon good against most targets what is wrong with the vast quantities of weapons that fulfill the exact role you have specified for it? Heavy repeaters certainly create problems for any Force user because of the volume of fire; slugthrowers and even scatterguns are probably the MOST effective thing against a Force user with a lightsaber because of the nature of the projectile and how the lightsaber itself interacts with the solid shot rather than the blaster bolt. Sonic weapons fit that as well, considering being hit by one typically caused the entirety of the internal organ system to rupture violently. These weapons would all do exactly the same thing that this one would do, kinetic impact or otherwise, so I am not really seeing a reason to have something like a prototype reverse-engineered Charric weapon when these weapons do the job at a considerably cheaper cost.

Another matter would be the economics of the weapon. Black market or otherwise, reverse engineering and manufacture of such a thing would be so prohibitively expensive that nobody would be able to afford the end product. Even for a company such as BlasTech or Merr-Sonn it would be feasible but so fiscally irresponsible that the branch would be shut down for risking that much of their capital on something that may or may not work, to produce a weapon that could not possibly move enough units to make up for the cost. There would be no logical reason for a company, large or otherwise, to make something that would not give them a greater return-on-investment when they could continue to produce the things they already produce at cost. Without a reason for a company to undertake such a monumental financial risk there would have to be some kind of promised return-on-investment that would compensate them for said risk. 

Darth Atrox    700

Okay, I've come up with a simple solution to help you with this thing you desire Karter, just fill out these following questions and it'll be easy as cake.

Who is this item being made for?

Is it really for more people, or just your character specifically? This is the most important and there is no reason to not just state the obvious, it makes the process a lot easier.

Is there a company that would actually make this item, if they actually got their hands on such a schematic?

I honestly can't think of any names at the moment, but there is at least one that escapes my mind - since it's a a lot more black market-esque.

Is the point of this weapon other than being a powerful 'anti-lightsaber' weapon?

Another important question that follows up into the next one.

Would it be possible to replace this item you desire with a standard item already in canon?

An example was posted above that you can essentially use a heavy blaster to have the same kinetic power, though obviously charric seems to be what you are aiming for. So, I imagine it's just to deal Jedi and heavy armor, which can be a variety of items.

Afterwards I'll get back to you ASAP.

Karter    126

Question One: This weapon would be for everyone. Not just my character. Anyone who has the training and money can by it.

Question Two: I think so. Maybe Merr-Sonn or Blastech. Were you thinking of Tenloss, Kure? Or Black Sun?

Three: I didn't want it to just be an anti-Jedi, anti-heavy armor, but something that could provide high amounts of power and reliability without having to be too exceptional in its weight. I wanted the weapon to be a sort of "half-way mark" between an assault blaster and heavier models, something juuuust on the verge of heavier territory, but is still more portable and easier to carry than most heavy models.

Four: It would. Chen's right, other models can do the same thing, A heavier model could deliver the power but would be cumbersome. A sonic weapons range is much shorter. Slug throwers are too underpowered and have ranges where their ammo becomes inaccurate and there are other considerations. The weapon is meant to be a more portable, easier to use heavy weapon type than is typical :It shoots more accurately and at greater ranges than slugthrowers and sonics, hits very hard and can keep a small squad staying behind thick cover, and has more still in common with assault rifles, keeping costs down in the long run for making it. The kinetic impact on lightsabers was just a bonus, and can be removed.

Je'ka Cuyot    126

Okay, so what we're looking at now is essentially a heavy blaster carbine, not a charric? That's a thing that could exist. You said, however, it's got limited ammunition, only twenty shots. That's disruptor-level lack of ammo there :P most blasters can handle more than a hundred. Is it the power cell or the Tibanna gas that would be a problem here? Disruptors use a lot of Tibanna for a little power, and so make things disintegrate. Lighter pistols use more power than gas. Or is this like, a lot of power for a lot of Tibanna? What's the terminal effect here? Is it gonna disintegrate someone? Is it going to insta-boil everything in their abdominal cavity and make them explode? You said for use against heavy armor, I'm assuming personal armor and not like vehicles. And then what sort of range are we talking about, in meters? Is it semi-automatic, or is there an auto mode?

Basically- okay, moving forward. Deets now, specifics about the weapon. It might be useful to fill out the submission form again, because a lot has changed, yeah?

Karter    126

I could increase the ammo to forty shots. The shots use a high amount of tibanna, which could be why ammo is so limited.

As for the damage it does to raw tissue, I was thinking it could do bad charring to the organs. But in limited circumstances, wounds to the torso might be survivable, depending on quality of armor. If pertinent medical aid was immediately provided, it is possible to survive, though the subject will need cybernetics. (I'm not sure how well that bits going to go over tbh, I just worry about the rifle being too unfair to players but I could be wrong.) Its Semi-Auto, and has a range of ninety meters. And yes, I meant personal armor.

Karter    126

Edited the submission itself, and instead made the internals a combination of proprietary blastech stuff and inspiration from old Mandalorian designs, since I remember seeing on Wookieepedia a weapon called a Combat Enforcer, that was said to have a number of features in common with Mandalorian weapons while not being made by them personally.

Je'ka Cuyot    126

You've just cut stuff out of the previous application and pasted new stuff in, maintaining the wording of the old one in most places. You're still comparing the power to a charric. You said it can wear down shields in one to two direct hits- how can you compute that? There are a lot of different types of shields, intended for different things. You've still got it able to be used as a sniper weapon, but haven't specified a range other than "medium". You've still got a section about "Republic Intelligence" speculating about its intended use. You've also yet again spoken for a large group of people, saying "the elite mercenary demographic" met this with joy. What I'd recommend is actually taking a moment and reworking the wording, rather than just chopping out what I said wasn't great and replacing it with other stuff. Maybe try adding the detail I asked you about into the application? Range, effect, that sort of thing. That would help a great deal.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this