Mirran Kai    58

Mirran cocked her head curiously. How further did she have to go to do this? She knew that she needed a very fine amount of focus. She had made a tendril or something similar to it earlier. Yet it required absolute concentration, complete and total concentration. Eliminate Char, Eliminate Knight Coventry. She closed off her Force Sight from them. They were distractions. Char particularly, having feelings or any sort of attachment for him was unwise. She was Miralukan, he was human. The thought of being involved with a human seemed well beneath her. The Jedi and even her parents would have warned her away from such things. There were humans and Miralukans who were in such relationships and well it never ended well for them or their offspring. Char and her could be friends, nothing more nothing less. 

They no longer existed in her sight. They were still around, she knew they were. It was dangerous doing this, but this wasn't a combat scenario. if she had to she could add them back to her Sight. She then focused all her attention on the water. She focused her Sight on the water. It was cold. By the Miralukan gods why did this have to be so difficult? Course the gods could have influence after all....since Miralukans worshiped gods that represented the Force. She took her shoes off and stepped into the pond itself. Let the water become part of her. She had to do this to help her regain her calm and her focus. She sighed.  I am one with the Force.....and the Force is with me..... 

She felt the fish nibble on her feet, they tickled. She smiled softly and supplicated herself to the Force itself. A bubble of water around one of the pond fish. She slowly let the bubble which contained the fish rise slowly to the surface. The fish swimming around in it's bubble. She felt tired, this was more than just a tendril of water though. It was an errant and perhaps a simple childish thought, yet Mirran was convinced that with the Force everything was possible and she knew this was possible but....this bubble lasted for about twenty seconds and the bubble popped and the fish plopped back into the pond. 

Mirran suddenly collapsed and fainted dead away but a smile on her lips. She had felt the Force and it was beautiful. 

Char    28

'If I could do this once, I can do this again.', Char thought after Coventry had asked him to make a tendril of water. 'It is not so different from making a bubble'.

Char was focusing on the water. This time, there was nothing to distract him. He allowed himself to feel the water. After having done this twice, he was by now used to it. He was also confident that he would make it. He could feel the freshness and coldness of the water, the life in it. The water stirred. Char smiled. 'That is a good first step.'. At that moment he thought that he had heard something, but he ignored it. He remained focused on the water. 'Pretend it is an extra finger...', he thought, repeating Coventry's words in his mind. The water jiggled. 'With the Force as an ally, I can make it.'. Char closed his eyes and concentrated. He was determined not to fail. Suddenly, a small tendril of water was raised. It was smaller than the one Coventry had raised at the start of the lesson, but for a novice it was good. Or, at least, Char hoped that it was good enough.

Char opened his eyes and smilingly said, "I made it!"

Yet Char's celebration was cut short. He saw that Mirran had collapsed on the water. "What happened?!", he asked Coventry. "Is she alright? I.... What happened to her? I did everything according to instructions. I did not try to make the Force obey me or anything... She will be alright, right?". There was cold sweat on his forehead and one could easily tell that Char was worried.

Coventry    47

Coventry watched with only a raised eyebrow as Mirran dipped into the pond, keeping track of the other initiates efforts as well, all of whom were concentrating to try and ask the Force to properly move the water. He'd give the boy some credit...he caught on quickly. The Miralukan also.

He saw Char succeed before he saw Mirran collapse into the water. Fortunately it was not deep. But all the same, Coventry went over quickly and lifted her out of the water gently, making note of the male initiate's reaction as he asked if she would be okay. So, he wasn't completely self centered. Still, he was unsure as to the exact nature of his regard for the young woman. He didn't think it was a serious attachment, but still, the Initiate's worry was obvious even without the Force. Was she a buddy to him, like Inoy and him? 

"She's unharmed. She simply fainted from exertion. You may ask the Force to do the job, rather than trying to subsume it, but it still requires a living body to channel its energy. And that can be very exhausting, even when you do everything right. The strain mentally can be great, especially when learning a new ability. She's fine. She simply isn't used to channeling it, especially not for an obscure form of psychokinesis. She'll be alright. Just let her wake up naturally. I should have brought a towel. Its a good try though, on both of you. The rest of you initiates, take note: Do not overexert yourself unless its an emergency. Learning especially complicated or new techniques can cause extreme exhaustion. Even death in some cases."

The rest of the initiates nodded and Coventry knealt over the young Miralukan, tapping her on the shoulder to try and stir her.

"Initiate?" he called out gently, the wind gently rustling tall grass and leaves from bushes nearby.

Mirran Kai    58

The protocol droid rushed over. "Oh my....mistress Mirran. Mistress Mirran please don't be injured. Your parents will be displeased with me if you are injured in anyway. I should....I should go for help." 

The droid scurried off in a distressed manner. 

Mirran woke up cold, wet, and a small grade headache. She felt sick to her stomach and the Force Sight around her pulsed in and out on her in a strobe like fashion. She suddenly coughed and threw up the contents of her stomach. She quickly cut off her Force Sight which left her completely blind but the strobe of her vision made her sick. 

She was blind and it was better this way till at least the pulsing in her head stopped. 

Char    28

Char listened to Coventry's answer and let out a sigh of relief when he told him that Mirran would be fine. When she woke up, he said, "How are you feeling? Coventry said that you will be alright; you just exhausted yourself. You should try to rest for the rest of the day. Do you need help returning to the Academy?"

Char was still somewhat worried about Mirran. Although Coventry had assured him that it wasn't anything serious, Char was still ill at ease. Yet, he also could not hide his satisfaction at how well he did; he had caught on quickly on Hydrokinesis. He succeeded thrice in moving the water. Although he was somewhat exhausted by this exercise, he could not help but smile. 'Maybe I do have talent in using the Force...'. Char noted to himself that he would exercise more on this skill. When he would have free time, he would visit this place and try again to move the water. With time, Char was sure that his skill in moving water would improve.

Edited by Char

Coventry    47

Still prideful, Coventry noted about Char.

In either case they could continue with the lesson once Mirran was back on her feet. And then she puked. Coventry remained stone faced at the sight, not saying a word.

His eyes darted over her in small, precise movements. 

"Initiate, it seems the exertion took more from you than I thought," Coventry noted, watching her droid run off with a raised eyebrow. The smell of Mirran's spilled stomach contents was unpleasant but he was not visibly affected by it.

Instead, he knealt down and patted her on the shoulder. "You should comm your droid for a towel. But you should be fine. In any case, learning to tolerate the stresses of the Force is going to be a long and difficult study, not just for Mirran but for all of you as well. While Mirran recovers, I think we should take the time to move onto an essential skill, and one of the best skills in Hydrokinesis...the purification of water.

Coventry removed a clear plastic bottle from his robes. The water inside looked dirty.

"The water here is filled with a number of unhealthy, waterborne viruses. Drinking it would give you a similar reaction to what Mirran had just now...except it wouldn't come from the mouth," he added with a knowing wink to the class. 

"Now, what might we do with this water? Boiling is a good solution...but this is Hydrokinesis we are learning. We have a skill within perfectly geared to survival...we can use what small skill we have to purify the water, make it drinkable. Imagine how useful this would be if you ever get lost in the woods. To do it, we access the molecular backdoors of the water, much like we did to move it...but this will require greater control, and we will be using the water to increase the oxygen content and purge it of toxins and other ills. It requires greater focus. You may have to meditate as you try. You," he said to Char. "It is not enough to understand a concept, a perception of reality. You must become familiar with it on a personal level. Self discipline will be absolutely necessary to focus properly and purge the water. I have a device that will test it, because I don't want to see you trapped in the restroom for a week while your intestines sort out a mid-life crisis and buy an expensive speeder they don't need."

Coventry held the bottle out to Char. "Focus. Ask the Force to purify the water. Knowledge of water and its properties can be helpful, but do not become to reliant on such knowledge. It is more important to change your own perception of the water's purity or impurity. When you can do this easily, it will make it easier for the Force to alter it, as its host has altered itself to do so."

• Like 1

Mirran Kai    58

"Initiate, it seems the exertion took more from you than I thought,"

Mirran nodded quietly. No kidding, she thought. I can't even open myself to the Force without feeling like I am going to be sick. She sighed. "I.....well I think a sighted person would call it vertigo. Except it is more with my Force sight....I...I had to cut myself off. Sadly that makes me...well blind."

She felt Coventry pat her on the shoulder. "You should comm your droid for a towel. But you should be fine. In any case, learning to tolerate the stresses of the Force is going to be a long and difficult study, not just for Mirran but for all of you as well. While Mirran recovers, I think we should take the time to move onto an essential skill, and one of the best skills in Hydrokinesis...the purification of water."

"Kaybee?" She frowned. The droid wasn't anywhere near. "Where did that droid go?" 

She listened to Knight Coventry explain the next task. She groped around for a comm link. This being blind and unable to see without the Force was annoying beyond belief.

Edited by Mirran Kai

Char    28

Char sat on the ground cross-legged and meditated. He focused on the bottle of water. Coventry had told him that he needed to increase the oxygen content in order to purge the toxins and make the water pure. Although the task was different, the principles behind it were the same. Char excluded any other thoughts on his minds and focused on how to access the molecular backdoors of the water. It wasn't an easy task, though Char by now had some experience on how exactly to proceed. Coventry had warned him that this task would be harder to accomplish, but Char wasn't that worried. He had confidence in his skills. 'If I could move the water, I can do this.'

He remembered Coventry's words about changing his own perception of the water's purity. He did not fully understand that concept but he tried to make sense of the Knight's words. 'Maybe what he means is that if I believe that the water is pure, that perception of mine will make the purification of the water an easier task to accomplish.' Char thought that this was what the Knight meant. 'This water is pure', he thought. Char touched the water with his consciousness and allowed himself to feel its presence in the Force. For a few minutes he meditated silently. The only sound that could be heard was that of the water flowing in the stream. Char could feel through the Force the oxygen content in the bottle increasing.

Char then got up. He wasn't sure if he had succeeded or not in his task. He was certain that he had increased the oxygen content though; whether this was enough to purify the water was yet to be seen. Char did not allow himself to show his uncertainty. Instead, putting up a confident smile, he asked, "Was I successful?"

Mirran Kai    58

Kaybee managed to return with a towel, some fresh water, some medication for a headache,  and a new outer robe for Mirran as the other was soiled. Somehow Mirran had managed to find her comlink and told the droid what she needed. She quietly took the medication for the headache. She carefully opened herself to the Force. Her Force sight still seemed a bit wonky. Yet she slowly was feeling better. Kaybee was still fussing over her though, asking if she'd like to go back to her chambers, if she needed to see a healer. 

She shook her head negatively and then sat and quietly mediated tuning out the droid and tuning out most things going around her. The meditation in itself was healing and helped her feel calm and focused. 

Coventry    47

Coventry took out a small mechanism, stock shaped, that tested the water.

Char had gotten a lot of it, but the water was still showing more than thirty percent contaminants.

"Not quite but you were very close. By now I'm sure the rest of you can see the benefits of knowing this skill. You could make water safe to drink, give it to others in need. Make sure no one dies of thirst on your watch. You honor the Force the best when it is used to help people in need, as the Jedi Order are protectors of the innocent And you shouted doing that anyway. And what of you, Initiate?" asked the Knight, going over to check if she had somewhat recovered. "You strained yourself hard but you will be alright. Do you think you are ready to try again, or would you like a few minutes more to compose yourself?" he asked gently, trying to be accommodating to the student that had passed out in front of him, before turning to Char.

"I never caught your name, by the way." 

Edited by Coventry

Mirran Kai    58

And what of you, Initiate?" asked the Knight, going over to check if she had somewhat recovered. "You strained yourself hard but you will be alright. Do you think you are ready to try again, or would you like a few minutes more to compose yourself?" he asked gently, trying to be accommodating to the student that had passed out in front of him, before turning to Char.

Mirran blushed a bit, she was rather embarrassed that she had strained too much. She said softly and it was hard to hear if you didn't listen too carefully, "I...I...tried to do too much. I should listen to you more, Knight Coventry. Perhaps it smacks of my own foolish pride that I wanted to do more than what you mentioned. I pushed myself way too hard. Yet, I didn't think it was pride, but perhaps it was.  I... also was distracted by my fellow initiates. I....I am sorry." 

She bowed her head humbly more out of regret and seeking forgiveness for her own actions.   

"I never caught your name, by the way."

"I am Mirran. Mirran Kai." 

Coventry    47

"It's alright, Initiate Kai. No one becomes an expert in a day. You'll build up your mental muscles enough with long practice. A lot of initiates over exert themselves. But learning to tune out distraction will be just as important," Coventry replied calmly, before heading back to the pond. He concentrated, holding out his hand and his mind strained with the effort. But he kept calm, and after a few tries, the water began to rise. He concentrated very deeply, in and out came his breathing as the water began to take shape. He pictured the tendril rising out of the water, which he struggled to maintain cohesion of, deeply in concentration at this point as the image in his mind began to imprint on the tendril.

The water flexed and shrank at the tip, splitting into appendages...fingers and a thumb on a large hand. 

Slowly, carefully maintaining his concentration, he he was absolutely still as his hand channeled the force into the one made of water. The water arm moved, slowly, deliberately towards Coventry and carefully delicately, picked up his lightsaber which he held in his other hand.

The arm of water held it for a few seconds, shifting over to Char, before Coventry's concentration failed and the water arm collapsed, splashing in front of Char and Coventry's long hilted lightsaber tumbled into the grass.

Coventry went over and picked it up. He looked clearly winded.

"As you can see, Initiates. I do not have full expertise any more than you do. Only through great study will I be able to make that arm last longer. But the more you are able to concentrate, focus, and more importantly trust the Force, the more it will respond to the requests you make of it, and the more detailed it will be able to respond. Hydrokinesis is not necessary to becoming a good Jedi knight, but it doesn't hurt to sharpen your skill in accessing the Force along this route. But I must stress again, such an immense gift should never be abused or used to hurt people. Now, are you all ready for the final part of this lesson?"

Mirran Kai    58

Mirran mouth gaped open as Coventry's water hand was able to handle the lightsaber through the Force but the display didn't last very long.  

"As you can see, Initiates. I do not have full expertise any more than you do. Only through great study will I be able to make that arm last longer. But the more you are able to concentrate, focus, and more importantly trust the Force, the more it will respond to the requests you make of it, and the more detailed it will be able to respond. Hydrokinesis is not necessary to becoming a good Jedi knight, but it doesn't hurt to sharpen your skill in accessing the Force along this route. But I must stress again, such an immense gift should never be abused or used to hurt people. Now, are you all ready for the final part of this lesson?"

Mirran looked contemplative. "Is it the Force that wills that you do this or is it you that wills it or perhaps it is the will of the Force and you both agreeing to do so? Does it become easier to do so when you submit yourself to the Force? 

Mirran suddenly blushed a bit. "I am sorry, I am full of so many questions. I wish to open my understanding of things and understand the Force so that I may better accept it's role in my own life. I suppose I am ready for the final part of this lesson."