Coventry    47

Helona 14th, 3630 bby.

Coventry studied quietly in the archives, brushing up on his history. He found himself in the archives more often these days. It was early morning, the sun just barely up.

It hadn't truly hit him until six months ago that there was no longer a Sith Empire. That didn't say there was no longer Sith. There were always survivors. Always. He knew he would see more in his lifetime. He could not be certain when, but he knew it would happen. For the moment, though, The survivors were likely more concerned with licking their wounds, and when he was not looking to the occasional kinrath attack on the farms, he would be studying here or outside.

He was not sure what he wanted to do. He thought about classes on lightsabers, but he was more interested in the applications of psychokinetic abilities. It was a toss up.

Some initiates had been looking for someone to show them the basics of some of the more obscure applications of the Force. After some consideration he had asked and been given permission to teach a simple class of initiates something that could help them down the road. He left a notice that anyone interested could find him in the field near a small river.

Sure enough, he found a small group waiting patiently by a small pond that was fed in via stream.

"Greetings, Initiates. I am Coventry Desperaux. I am a Jedi Knight. Hopefully you will all grow up to be fine Jedi, but the path to knighthood is a long one. There are many things about the Force you have yet to uncover. Those who have the Force often take many paths to reaching an understanding of it...and an understanding with it in many ways. For some, your path to understanding may lie in the healing arts, which, I must say, is an excellent choice. For others, it is the ability to talk to machines or animals. Even divine the future in some cases. For others it will be in the resolving of conflict with words instead of violence. All of these are noble paths. Worthy paths," Coventry spoke with his defective voice, a morning breeze blowing through jet black hair as he stood in dark green robes in the early blues of morning on a cool day in Dantooine. "But some paths in the Force will increase your understanding in a different way. For me, I began to understand just how everything in life is connected. I gained this increased understanding through a study of psychokinesis."

He had been reminded of that lesson on Dromund Kaas. The cry of suffering he had felt on that planet reminded him all too much of why war was so terrible, and should be avoided when possible. He hoped these initiates would get lucky and never have to fight in one.

"Psychokinesis is a branch of study that affects physical systems. Systems that affect the world around you, systems that interact everyday with each other around you."

To demonstrate, he took out his saberstaff and floated it in the middle of the air with telekinesis.

"Telekinesis...the empty method, as I have heard it called by some Masters. Empty because it is not your hand grasping and holding it, but the Force, defying normally immutable laws of physics. Telekinsis is the branch of psychokinesis all Force sensitives of any training in the order touch upon, and many other groups outside it. The Empty Method is the branch of psychokinesis that you will use the most often, unless you have that rare inability with it. The Empty Method is capable of truly impressive and helpful feats such as moving extremely heavy objects, and for those with the talant, they may end up becoming very skilled. The Empty Method only hints at everything being connected and overseen by The Force. When one gets into some of the more obscure applications of the movement of atoms, one gets a better understanding of just how inherent and vital it is to existence. Today, I'm going to show you a less used but immensely useful talant known as Hydrokinesis. Now, are there any questions?" He asked, picking up a pitcher of water.

Spoiler

Initiates post here if interested. Knights may come too.

Edited by Coventry
  • Like 1

Char    28

Char had come to the field near the river, where he could find Knight Coventry. When he finally arrived, he quietly listened to the Jedi. When Char heard that Coventry wanted to show them Hydrokinesis, he smiled. He had read before about it and was most intrigued by this ability.  Silently, he stood before the river and waited for Coventry to proceed with the lesson. He was determined to master this ability and as such he gave his full attention to the lesson.

Mirran Kai    58

Mirran came, her droid Kaybee insisted on coming as well. She sighed, the droid had been switched off long enough. It insisted on following her like a pet. She told the droid to be mindful, that it might not like coming to a training session with a Jedi. The droid had responded. "I do not understand, Mistress Mirran." 

She shook her head. Boy the droid was a bit thick. Jedi had lightsabers they could sever the poor droid with there blades, or then there was the fact that the Jedi knight that was training them had water. Water and electrical circuitry did not mix. She only warned the droid not to annoy any of the others here. Oh well let the poor droid figure that out, it was too good natured for it's own good.  

Coventry    47

There seemed to be no questions. On with the lesson then.

Coventry held the pitcher of water, stared.

"Hydrokinesis. An elemental branch of psychokinetics. One of six. Hydrokinesis governs the movements of matter in a liquid state...not just necessarily water, though most of its nuances are for taking advantage of water. My knowledge is only very basic but I dunno...perhaps...you'll see something..." he hinted.

Hydrokinesis had been the first elemental branch he had ever learned, a teaching from Carra Bhakti. He had forgotten much after his capture. Hydrokinesis was again the first branch he had restudied once he was reestablished in the Order.

"It was when I studied Hydrokinesis that I first became amazed at just how all encompassing the nature of The Force is. It binds everything. Guides everything. It even guides the water you need to live. It was studying Hydrokinesis that I first truly understood why the Force should not be abused...why it should be used to help others..."

He set down the pitcher of water, held out his hand, and concentrated. It was a great strain. More than regular, since he hadn't flexed his muscles lately in this area.

The water inside jiggled, before a small tendril of it raised itself over the pitcher lid. 

"Psychokinesis can help you understand why the Force must be used to help instead of harm. Because the Force is being asked by you to manipulate a fundamental element of nature. That is not a thing you must do without a good reason. This is something that defies the Laws of Physics...and the Force set those laws up for a reason. Bending those laws...just because you can...is never good, because it leads to one treating the Force as a plaything, and if you have no respect for the Force, and are willing to bend or break the rules it set up for reality just for kicks, than you already stray far from the path. That said, if you are willing to really double down on your study of it, you will find that this can be an immensely useful, even life saving gift. Because besides controlling how water can move, this ability will let you access the molecular back doors that can help purify the water of its taken on contaminents. But for now, we will focus on the simple," he stated, letting the tendril of water back into the pitcher. He decided he would get a volunteer.

"You," he said, settling on the lone Miraluka, his aged voice not matching his youthful appearance. "Perhaps you would like to give it a try? Hydrokinesis...any form of psychokinesis really, has one chief thing in common with telekinesis...at its core, it is about your mind asking the Force to influence matter. Atoms. Its just in this case, the form of matter is specific...more specific than telekinesis...come on, don't be shy," he encouraged.

Char    28

Char was amazed by how powerful this ability was. 'To manipulate the forces of nature, to bend them to one's will: that is true power!', he thought. 'I wonder what one could achieve if this power was taken to the next level. If one could master this ability and perform it on a planet wide scale, one could flood entire countries and destroy whole armies. The possibilities are limitless.'

He saw that among the initiates watching the lesson was Mirran. Char simply smiled when he saw her. When the Jedi Knight asked her to try Hydrokinesis, Char said: "I am sure that you will make it. Good luck."

He then silently stood, waiting to see if the Miraluka would succeed.

Edited by Char

Mirran Kai    58

Mirran cocked her head slightly curious. She sent a light wave of Force energy to help her focus her sight particularly at the water in the pitcher. 

"If atoms are being manipulated....is it possible to create more atoms and cause more water to flow? Or...." She paused in thought. "Water....the base elements are oxygen and hydrogen.....theoretically I could pull those elements together with the Force and create more water."

She paused. "I am thinking too much. Thinking of things beyond my knowledge that is not what you wished. I apologize, you wish me to try and manipulate the water and cause it to move."

She sighed and tried to focus her Force Sight deeper into the water. Seeing molecules and atoms. Her head began to throb....she had never been asked to see so deeply before. Seeing such tiny particles of water, she gently touched them with the Force. The water trembled in the pitcher. A little more touch and Mirran gasped....she tried to stop but found the water spiraling....how do I stop? The pitcher suddenly shattered and the water spilled all over the ground and sunk into the ground. Mirran turned beet red.

"I am sorry....I....I did not know how to let go." 

Edited by Mirran Kai
  • Like 1

Coventry    47

Coventry raised an eyebrow as the pitcher shattered. Damn. Next time, bring more pitchers, he thought to himself.

"Perfectly alright, Initiate," Coventry said gently. "Its normal to have hiccups like that. It is not until you try to move a substance with your mind for the first time that you understand how much you have to learn. As to your question...you are correct. This is indeed possible. But I myself have not attempted such a thing in a long time. Plus, as you said...small steps first. Which leads me to another warning: Do not seek knowledge of the Force casually. Every ability can be dangerous if misused. And the Jedi who seeks knowledge seeks only to better protect the galaxy. Only to fulfil their role as a Jedi. Things like power...power is not the focus of being a Jedi. Not just because craving power for its own sake is against the way of the Jedi. Not just because craving power is inherently an emotion of greed. Not just because it leads to innocent people getting hurt, possibly killed...but because power is ultimately fleeting. Transitory. And in some ways, only a perception. Many believe they are powerful. I prefer the term, "skilled." But skill fails everyone eventually, especially under the right circumstances, and then what would so-called power be worth? Not much. Psychokinesis is ultimately meant only to understand the intricacies of how the Force ties into reality around you and to use that knowledge to become more in tune with the Force and help others."

Coventry headed to the nearby pond, motioning for the Miralukan to come over and try again.

"Lets try again," Coventry encouraged. "Open your mind to the Force. Imagine it flowing like the stream into this pond. Imagine the water spiraling, like your are stirring it with your finger. Only a small stirring now. Stop it like you would stop your finger stirring water."

• Like 1

Mirran Kai    58

"Perfectly alright, Initiate," Coventry said gently. "Its normal to have hiccups like that. It is not until you try to move a substance with your mind for the first time that you understand how much you have to learn. As to your question...you are correct. This is indeed possible. But I myself have not attempted such a thing in a long time. Plus, as you said...small steps first. Which leads me to another warning: Do not seek knowledge of the Force casually. Every ability can be dangerous if misused. And the Jedi who seeks knowledge seeks only to better protect the galaxy. Only to fulfil their role as a Jedi. Things like power...power is not the focus of being a Jedi. Not just because craving power for its own sake is against the way of the Jedi. Not just because craving power is inherently an emotion of greed. Not just because it leads to innocent people getting hurt, possibly killed...but because power is ultimately fleeting. Transitory. And in some ways, only a perception. Many believe they are powerful. I prefer the term, "skilled." But skill fails everyone eventually, especially under the right circumstances, and then what would so-called power be worth? Not much. Psychokinesis is ultimately meant only to understand the intricacies of how the Force ties into reality around you and to use that knowledge to become more in tune with the Force and help others."

Mirran nodded and listened to Knight Coventry impart his wisdom over the task as well as answer her question about whether it was possible to create water with this skill. Mirran only asked because she was curious. She had no desire to do what she knew she couldn't do. There had to be a reason for such an action. Yet there was technology that could do such actions, so why do so? For example, moisture vaporators on Tatooine could bring forth life giiving water. Yet it was interesting to know that such a feat was possible. She sighed, her skill with telekinesis wasn't the best and she had a feeling that her skill in psychokinesis was similar since both applied similar skills. Yet, that wasn't to say her skill couldn't improve....it could. She just needed time and patience. 

Coventry headed to the nearby pond, motioning for the Miralukan to come over and try again.

"Lets try again," Coventry encouraged. "Open your mind to the Force. Imagine it flowing like the stream into this pond. Imagine the water spiraling, like your are stirring it with your finger. Only a small stirring now. Stop it like you would stop your finger stirring water."

Mirran remembered that she could handle one stone with telekinesis, let's try with a small amount of water on the surface of the pond. Keep it small....keep it simple. She looked at the pond and quietly went deeper into her Force Sight. She carefully focused on a small amount of molecules enough to bring forth a small bubble of water forward....it made a bubble on the surface of the water like a soap bubble and then she popped it. She smiled softly, so it wasn't the most elaborate action in the Force but it was small and small was progress. 

Edited by Mirran Kai

Coventry    47

"Good...see how the water contorted thanks to the effects of the Force? Your ability to affect water will be limited at first...the laws of nature are not casually bent after all. But once you understand that water, like dirt, like fire, like plants, like the very skin on your body, is matter...you will understand that moving water is not so different from say, moving a datapad with telekinesis, its just that the matter you are letting the Force alter is very specific. In some ways, teaching yourself to focus on a very specific form of matter is only a matter of shifting perceptions about what the Force can or cannot affect," he told the Miralukan, and by extension the rest of the class.

"Try again. Make a small bump on the surface. Remember. Its all a matter of perception most of the time. You have to believe the Force will move the water more than having a vague understanding that the Force can do it. And you have to let the Force work through you with a clear mind. A clear focus. Let it go through your mind, whisper in your brain, spread itself through you. Its doing the work: You are only really making a request of it, and letting it go through you to complete the task. And while you can ask the Force to make the water bend this way or shiver that way, in the end, it is the Force doing the work, controlling everything around you...not you yourself. Not truly. Your benefit is the result of its will."

The Miralukan seemed to be thoughtful in how she approached a subject. He wanted to see how she did with making a shape and holding it.

In the meantime he turned to one of the other initiates. His eyes fell on Char. 

"Initiate...would you like to give iit a try?" he asked.

Char    28

Char confidently smiled. One of the benefits of being somewhat of a narcissist was that he was pretty confident of himself and his abilities. "Of course! I am more than willing to give it a try."

Char approached the pond a took a moment to appreciate the beauty of nature. He then closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He allowed himself to relax. He cleared his mind of all thoughts and let himself to feel the water. Although he did have questions about this ability, he felt that it would be better if he did not think about them right now; he had to focus on the task at hand. 'I can feel the water...', he thought as his consciousness touched on the water. Char took deep breaths and stood silently for a moment. He was in no hurry and he had heeded the words of the Coventry: "Its all a matter of perception most of the time. You have to believe the Force will move the water more than having a vague understanding that the Force can do it. And you have to let the Force work through you with a clear mind. A clear focus."

'The Force shall obey me! I will move the water', he thought. Suddenly, there were a few tiny ripples on the water. Char did not allow himself to get excited nor did he think much about it but everyone could see that there was a smile on his face.

Char attempted to make a bubble on the water's surface, much like the Miraluka had done before him, but he found this to be more difficult. Yet, he did not give up and doubled down on his effort. 'You will obey me!', he thought, referring to the Force. He felt a slight headache and there was cold sweat on his forehead, but Char ignored this. He remained focused on the water. A small bubble did appear on the water's surface. It shortly thereafter popped.

Char felt exhausted and his headache still bothered him. It was a difficult task to try to master the water. Yet, he could not deprive himself of the pleasure of boasting to others about his achievement. He grinned and said, "All too easy!".

• Like 1

Coventry    47

Coventry focused on Char like a laser, studying the boy as he...felt something. 

The way the Force had reacted to Char affecting the water...it was almost...

...almost like Char had tried to make the Force obey him.

Analysis of initiate commencing, something in the back of his head noted as he watched the initiate strain improperly. The Force shuddering around the initiate as he tried to crudely make it obey him. With all the subtlety of a tach eating its own excrement. With a grin that matched such a hypothetical scenario as he smiled after making it pop in the water a little, saying how easy it was. Even Dantius had more tact and respect for the Force. Dantius, who had nearly gotten everyone around him killed on two different occasions Coventry was personally witness to. 

"Initiate," Coventry said softly, politely. "You seemed to have performed the technique improperly. Yes, the water moved, but I did not feel the Force working through you properly, more like you were trying to assert your will over it. Perhaps you can try again? Trying to make the Force obey you is not only counter-productive, it is not in keeping with the way of the Jedi. And do not be so quick to pride...pride interferes with a proper assessment of a scenario. Let the Force work through you. Let it carry out the request you make of it...but do not try and make it obey you. Such a mindset will only harm you down the road. Your fellow initiate is a good example to follow, despite what she did to the pitcher."

He studied the facial features, posture, the way he smiled, the way he concentrated, not in the way he did with the Miralukan, where it was just idle analysis, but focused analysis, like how many seconds on average he took between breaths, the impression he had gotten from the Force around him, the way he spoke, his accent, how quickly his bodily movements were.

The initiate's statement betrayed a certain level of arrogance, which was...not healthy. Char, in the span of seconds, had Coventry deciding to keep an eye on him for the rest of the session. He turned back to the Miralukan. "And how are you doing so far?"

• Like 2

Mirran Kai    58

"Good...see how the water contorted thanks to the effects of the Force? Your ability to affect water will be limited at first...the laws of nature are not casually bent after all. But once you understand that water, like dirt, like fire, like plants, like the very skin on your body, is matter...you will understand that moving water is not so different from say, moving a datapad with telekinesis, its just that the matter you are letting the Force alter is very specific. In some ways, teaching yourself to focus on a very specific form of matter is only a matter of shifting perceptions about what the Force can or cannot affect," he told the Miralukan, and by extension the rest of the class.

"Try again. Make a small bump on the surface. Remember. Its all a matter of perception most of the time. You have to believe the Force will move the water more than having a vague understanding that the Force can do it. And you have to let the Force work through you with a clear mind. A clear focus. Let it go through your mind, whisper in your brain, spread itself through you. Its doing the work: You are only really making a request of it, and letting it go through you to complete the task. And while you can ask the Force to make the water bend this way or shiver that way, in the end, it is the Force doing the work, controlling everything around you...not you yourself. Not truly. Your benefit is the result of its will."

Mirran nodded although the instruction left her with more questions. Request the Force? It is the Force doing the work? It controls everything not you....your benefit is the result of its will? 

Mirran cocked her head curiously. "Knight Coventry are you saying the Force is our master rather than we master the Force? How is this so? Is the Force alive or is it merely the collective will of us all? Or is it the will of all life? If this is so....then it means that it was the will of the Force that my people were born to see not with eyes but with the Force itself." 

But so many questions and then Coventry asked Char to do what she was doing as well. Mirran supposed the Knight would wish to observe his progress at first so she went back to her working with the water. She focused quietly on the water....meditate., she thought. Be calm and relax. Water is calm, soothing, peaceful. It is the basis of life. Without water, life would not exist. It is just as connected to the Force as I am.  She went deeply into her view of the water. She felt the water....it was connected to the ground and connected to life. She move her hand closer to the water and the water suddenly came slowly and covered her hand like a glove. It was cool, wet, cold. She raised her water gloved hand to her lips and let the water flow into her mouth although that probably wasn't the most wise of actions as the water probably was filled with various forms of life, bacteria, etc.... but she felt it was symbolic, that she was taking life into herself and it was part of the Force. She sighed....

Yet suddenly the Force shifted and she coughed and sputtered the water came up quite violently from her mouth. She felt as though something had disrupted her meditative mood. She turned her attention to Char, something about the way the Force gathered around him looked and felt wrong. It unsettled the Miraluka, she looked away. She could not bear staring at him, his presence glowed with a shade she found unpleasant. She shivered. Her meditative mood was disrupted and she found she could no longer concentrate. 

Edited by Mirran Kai
  • Like 1

Char    28

"You seemed to have performed the technique improperly. Yes, the water moved, but I did not feel the Force working through you properly, more like you were trying to assert your will over it. Perhaps you can try again? Trying to make the Force obey you is not only counter-productive, it is not in keeping with the way of the Jedi. And do not be so quick to pride...pride interferes with a proper assessment of a scenario. Let the Force work through you. Let it carry out the request you make of it...but do not try and make it obey you. Such a mindset will only harm you down the road. Your fellow initiate is a good example to follow, despite what she did to the pitcher."

Char knew better than to try to antagonize Coventry. Instead, he pretended to be the humbled student who was apologizing for his wrongdoings. "I apologize. I should have known better than try to make the Force obey me. I was just too excited about this ability and wanted to master it quickly. I now see that I was wrong. It was foolish of me. As a Jedi, I should be patient, not hurry. I shall also not be quick to take pride. That is not the Jedi way. I once again apologize to you and thank you for correcting me. I shall try again."

Char found it distasteful that he had to make such a humiliating apology to Coventry, yet he felt that it was better than making Coventry suspect him. As he uttered those words, he tried to smile as sincerely as he could. He then thought about how to succeed in his exercise. He thought about the Knight's words and tried to think of what would be the best way to perform the Hydrokinesis.

Char was about to try again moving the water when he heard Mirran coughing. He looked at her and saw that she shivered. If it was any other person, he would not care much but Mirran was perhaps the only friend he had. The rest of the people he knew were either antagonistic to him or useful pawns. Before the Crystal Cave, he would have considered those 'friends' (pawns) to be enough. Yet, when the kinrath had hit him, for a moment he had felt a sense of coldness and isolation. He realized that he had no true friends. When he returned to the Academy that same day, he had at last found someone who he, at least, could consider a friend. He was not sure if the Miraluka thought the same about him, but he did not bother much about it.

Char's heart beat fast. Ignoring Coventry and the lesson, he approached Mirran and asked, "Is everything alright? You look as if something is wrong."

Mirran Kai    58

Char's heart beat fast. Ignoring Coventry and the lesson, he approached Mirran and asked, "Is everything alright? You look as if something is wrong."

Mirran tried to turn her attention to Char, his presence had cleared enough that she was able to finally look at him. How did one explain this to a non-Miralukan? She did not wish to insult Char. She looked thoughtful. "What where you doing? Your presence....your aura....it was different. I...it hurt my eyes."

She licked her lips nervously. "You seem better now....and I can look upon you. Are you.....well? Do you need...." She paused, trying to think of something. "Endorian Chicken soup? I hear the mess hall serves a decent bowl of such a thing. Although truthfully I...." She managed a smile. "I dislike Endorian Chicken soup. My....parents tried to spoon it down my throat as a young child as though....it could cure anything and everything. Yet that was such a long time ago....and I barely remember my parents. Yet I remember the soup." She chuckled lightly.

Edited by Mirran Kai
  • Like 1

Char    28

"What where you doing? Your presence....your aura....it was different. I...it hurt my eyes."

Char thought about it for a moment. He considered the possibility that the way he tried to make the Force obey him may have caused this. He wasn't sure if his theory was right but he could not think of a different explanation. "I apologize.", he said. Unlike his apology to Coventry, this time he was sincere. "I believe that this was caused by my attempt to make the Force obey me. I will not do this again. I can assure you of that."

"You seem better now....and I can look upon you. Are you.....well? Do you need...." She paused, trying to think of something. "Endorian Chicken soup? I hear the mess hall serves a decent bowl of such a thing. Although truthfully I...." She managed a smile. "I dislike Endorian Chicken soup. My....parents tried to spoon it down my throat as a young child as though....it could cure anything and everything. Yet that was such a long time ago....and I barely remember my parents. Yet I remember the soup."

Char too smiled. He had never before tried Endorian Chicken soup but he thought about trying it, once the lesson was over of course. "I am perfectly alright. I will, however, try this Endorian soup since you say that it can cure everything. Hopefully it will not taste that bad...", he said and laughed. "Anyway, I think we should get back to trying to move the water. We should not let the Knight wait. Do not worry, this time I will be more cautious with my use of the Force."

• Like 1

Coventry    47

Coventry knew the words of someone trying to cover their ass when he heard them. Char was going all respectful, saying exactly what Coventry expected someone who had just violated the ethos to say. But it didn't ring of sincerity. Frankly, Coventry would have been less suspicious if the initiate had at least tried to challenge him on some aspect of his thinking, but not even that. Just immediate backtracking. Not that he was going to let Char know that. No need to risk making him sneakier.

Coventry watched in the morning air with a clinical manner as the young man went to observe the other initiate. Unlike with him, Coventry got the sense his interactions with her were not as forced. She expressed concern, asking if he needed soup.

So they know each other, he observed, filing away the remark the girl had made about the boy's aura, namely the fact it had hurt to stare at. Never a good sign.

She sees something, but clearly has no experience with what she is seeing. True rookie. Green as a newly sprouted tea leaf, he observed.

Coventry wanted to know more about this boy, whose apology was too quick, which came after clearly ignoring what he had told him, and decided he would ask around to see if anyone else had instructed him. He was not certain why but he got the feeling whatever he heard would not be good. And he did not let it escape him that the boy's vow to be more cautious, was not a vow to be more respectful. Anyone could be cautious. That was instinct. Mice are cautious before crossing open fields to avoid predators. Respect had to be learned. Earned.

Coventry of course, was impassive as he observed them, wind blowing through his black hair. His bright green eyes fixed on them both mechanically as they exchanged words of comfort. In the back of his head, he found himself thankful he had never been a good liar.

He decided to continue with the lesson after a moments debate. The initiate had disregarded ethos in the first time attempt to learn a secret. And had been insincere in his apology. This was cause for concern, but neither of these things, even combined, were enough to torpedo the initiate's prospects of becoming a Jedi. All of these were character defecits that could be rectified, corrected, perhaps by more skilled Jedi than he.

"It occurs to me that you should try again, Initiate," he told Char. "Psychokinesis is an extremely difficult discipline. Any branch of it presents its own rules, its own complications. One cannot master it early. Most Jedi will never touch more than the empty method of psychokinesis. Even my own knowledge of Hydrokinesis is in relative infancy. There are those with exceptional talent at focusing and letting the Force work through them of course, but such skill is rare. Do not fuss over mastery. Mastery, like the concept of power, is largely a term of perception as well. A Jedi does not stop learning. And even those who are called masters are only so because of discipline and focus. But this does not make them masters of the Force, no matter how long they study. No one masters the Force, Initiate," he told Char, hoping at least some of his words would get through before turning to the Miralukan. 

"As to your question...the Force is alive, and it has a will, though that will is hard to discern. Life generates it. Matter houses it. But it has its own will all the same. Even as each of us generates it and this water we ask it to alter for us lets it into its molecular back door, it casts its will upon the galaxy, altering the probability of a given outcome, sometimes in ways so subtle we can only get a hint of the full scope of its actions in hindsight. The Jedi can train for a lifetime...ten lifetimes in some cases...and still only get glimpses of its inner workings. Important glimpses, but glimpses all the same. This is a good thing, for any mortal that could see the Force in its full complexity could not fully comprehend it. As psychokinesis can increase your understanding of how all are connected, I study it to hopefully find enlightenment feeling the connection between the Force and various states of matter. Does this answer your question?"

• Like 1

Mirran Kai    58

He decided to continue with the lesson after a moments debate. The initiate had disregarded ethos in the first time attempt to learn a secret. And had been insincere in his apology. This was cause for concern, but neither of these things, even combined, were enough to torpedo the initiate's prospects of becoming a Jedi. All of these were character defecits that could be rectified, corrected, perhaps by more skilled Jedi than he.

"It occurs to me that you should try again, Initiate," he told Char. "Psychokinesis is an extremely difficult discipline. Any branch of it presents its own rules, its own complications. One cannot master it early. Most Jedi will never touch more than the empty method of psychokinesis. Even my own knowledge of Hydrokinesis is in relative infancy. There are those with exceptional talent at focusing and letting the Force work through them of course, but such skill is rare. Do not fuss over mastery. Mastery, like the concept of power, is largely a term of perception as well. A Jedi does not stop learning. And even those who are called masters are only so because of discipline and focus. But this does not make them masters of the Force, no matter how long they study. No one masters the Force, Initiate," he told Char, hoping at least some of his words would get through before turning to the Miralukan. 

While, Knight Coventry's words were meant for Char, she had a feeling they applied to her as well. It answered her question. No one was master of the Force. The Force had a will of it's own. Which is what he answered when he spoke to her. 

"As to your question...the Force is alive, and it has a will, though that will is hard to discern. Life generates it. Matter houses it. But it has its own will all the same. Even as each of us generates it and this water we ask it to alter for us lets it into its molecular back door, it casts its will upon the galaxy, altering the probability of a given outcome, sometimes in ways so subtle we can only get a hint of the full scope of its actions in hindsight. The Jedi can train for a lifetime...ten lifetimes in some cases...and still only get glimpses of its inner workings. Important glimpses, but glimpses all the same. This is a good thing, for any mortal that could see the Force in its full complexity could not fully comprehend it. As psychokinesis can increase your understanding of how all are connected, I study it to hopefully find enlightenment feeling the connection between the Force and various states of matter. Does this answer your question?"

Mirran nodded and she tried to refocus but she was having troubles concentrating. Char's aura disturbed her, as well as filled her a sense of discomfort. She tried to figure out why it made her feel uncomfortable and nervous. Her feelings were usually a good measure and she decided that whatever it was that caused Char's presence to hurt her eyes, wasn't right, it wasn't right at all. Perhaps she always knew that....but what was it that made her want to dismiss it ...was it what Jedi called attachment? Did she have feelings for Char or some sort of emotional ties to him? Of course not.....don't be absurd. 

She sighed. trying to refocus again. Kaybee spoke. "Mistress Mirran....I saw what you did....that was incredible. I've never seen water do that." 

Mirran blushed a bit. Okay....that really made concentration hard.

She muttered,  "Be quiet, Kaybee. I am trying to focus...."

Edited by Mirran Kai

Char    28

"It occurs to me that you should try again, Initiate," he told Char. "Psychokinesis is an extremely difficult discipline. Any branch of it presents its own rules, its own complications. One cannot master it early. Most Jedi will never touch more than the empty method of psychokinesis. Even my own knowledge of Hydrokinesis is in relative infancy. There are those with exceptional talent at focusing and letting the Force work through them of course, but such skill is rare. Do not fuss over mastery. Mastery, like the concept of power, is largely a term of perception as well. A Jedi does not stop learning. And even those who are called masters are only so because of discipline and focus. But this does not make them masters of the Force, no matter how long they study. No one masters the Force, Initiate,"

Char nodded in agreement. He then approached the pond once again. He stood quietly before it. He tried to be in peace and allow himself to relax. 'I must clear my mind of all thoughts...', he thought. Char still felt a sense of worry and guilt due to the fact that he had caused Mirran to hurt. He was angry with himself. If he had known about it, he would have never tried to make the Force obey him. Thinking about this incident made it hard for Char to concentrate. 'There is peace, there is peace! Isn't that what the Jedi say? Why am I not in peace?'

Char looked at Mirran to see how she was doing. Hopefully, if she was doing well, he could return back to trying to move the water and stop worrying himself. He saw that Mirran too was having trouble concentrating. Char quickly turned his stare away, gazing at the water. 'Is it me that causes her discomfort?', he wondered. 'Okay, I must not think about her. Worrying about that distracts me. It distracts me from my task. Damn it!'. Yet Char could not not think about her. His heart beat fast and he was anxious. 'If it was me trying to make the Force obey me that caused her discomfort, me being in peace and relaxing would stop that feeling. Hopefully. I must give it a try.'

Char closed his eyes. He thought about the plains of Dantooine, the fresh water of the pond, the bright sun on the clear, blue sky. He inhaled fresh air. His heart was now beating slower and he was less anxious. He felt a sense of calmness. 'I am in peace. I am in peace.'. He then allowed his consciousness to touch the water just like he had done before. He could feel it. He then tried, just like before, to move the water. This time, however, he was calm and he was trying to make the Force his ally, not his servant. 'Help me.', he thought, referring to the Force. The water stirred. There were ripples on it. For a moment he stood still, concentrating, allowing himself to feel the life around him. Char could feel that the Force was everywhere around him. He smiled but this time his smile was not a smug one; it was a smile of being in peace with oneself. Suddenly, a bubble appeared on the water's surface; it was larger than the one he had caused last time.

"I.... did as you asked.", he said to Conventry. This time his words were not prideful. He exuded a sense of calmness. "Maybe you are right.", he admitted. "When I tried to make the Force obey me, I was in pain and had struggled to cause that bubble to appear on the water's surface. Now, I achieved exactly the same result without struggling. I achieved it by being in peace and having the Force as my ally. I must apologize for my previous behavior.". This time, his apology was sincere. While Char could be manipulative and use underhanded means, he did respect those who he felt that were wiser than him.

Char had learned two things from this lesson; the first was that Coventry was right. Having the Force as an ally was better than trying to make it his servant. The second was that he cared a lot more about Mirran than he had previously thought. Char could be sure that it wasn't just a simple friendship with a fellow initiate. He had almost gotten mad when he thought that he was possibly hurting her. Char did not like the fact that he was having emotions for her. He could remember what his father had told him years ago; "You must not allow yourself to be controlled by your emotions. You must be disciplined, calculating and you must stay focused on your goal."  Yet, he did not want to let go of his emotions either. He just hoped that his goals, bringing glory and honor to the House of Zha'o as he had vowed before his father, and his emotions would not be in opposition to one another.

Edited by Char
  • Like 1

Mirran Kai    58

"I.... did as you asked.", he said to Conventry. This time his words were not prideful. He exuded a sense of calmness. "Maybe you are right.", he admitted. "When I tried to make the Force obey me, I was in pain and had struggled to cause that bubble to appear on the water's surface. Now, I achieved exactly the same result without struggling. I achieved it by being in peace and having the Force as my ally. I must apologize for my previous behavior.". This time, his apology was sincere. While Char could be manipulative and use underhanded means, he did respect those who he felt that were wiser than him.

Mirran heard Char's voice, it seemed somber and Mirran took a deep meditative breath. Where was she? Yes....focus....in the end the Force was with her, it was her sight, her vision. For her the Force was her life, without it she would be blind and without sight. She focused her sight upon the water. Let's try being simple once again. She calmly managed to bring a bubble of water to the surface of the pond.. If she could have tried to cover her hand in water, she would have, but the moment of doing that was lost to her. She couldn't repeat that action. Her concentration was lacking in such a manner. 

Coventry    47

Coventry observed as Char made his second attempt. And then another apology, and this one did not seem forced at all, so this one Coventry believed...somewhat.

The Miralukan girl seemed to relax, not reacting like she had before, meaning Char had actually tried to do it according to instructions. And he seemed to take her opinion seriously. Very seriously.

Coventry didn't want to be the one to have to let the boy know that any attachment he had to her could never become more than a friendship, and even that came second to the code. That was always the bit that was hardest to deal with. It had taken the entire course of his training as a Padawan to let go of Carra Bhakti's death, and he knew first hand just how painful letting go was. That was a part of his training he did not like. He didn't want to have to be the one to have to do any splitting up of the two. But he would, if it came to it, though there would be a bile in his throat long after at the act.

For now though, the two kept it professional, the Miralukan more noticeably.

"Learning the Force is never easy. Even the simplest technique has multiple catches. But as long as the Force works through you instead of for you, you will over time find a great sort of clarity. Attunement to it. When you feel how it ties to the molecules around you, how you, me, and every living thing on the planet is linked to it and by extension, each other, you will understand why the Force should not be abused for personal power...because it hurts ALL of us, in some way, when you do. You, me, your friend...all can be harmed. This is part of the reason for the Jedi's opposition to the Darkness. Ordinary men can cause suffering. And it will be a suffering that can linger. The Darkness though..." Coventry trailed, stepping closer to Char so he could be heard as the wind picked up.

"...the Darkness causes suffering on a sub-atomic scale. And that is why it is so terribly dangerous and why the Jedi are so strict sometimes. We do what we do because no one, no place should experience evil at a quantum level."

And then, Coventry got back on subject.

"You have experienced moving water. You have made a small shape. Bubbles. Try something else. Try making a...small tendrill of it. Pretend its an extra finger. Note this will be more difficult. It requires more focus so the Force can actually form what you ask it to."