Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daniel

Announcement: Character Sheets 0.5

1 post in this topic

So, I had planned on doing this a little bit differently. I planned on saying a lot of things about a lot of things - but silly old me was doing some file deletion today and accidentally deleted the Social Point Store, and all of the Character Sheet information from the board. If you are in any doubt of how much I deleted, it includes the Force Powers, the Action and Expertise Skills, along with all of the Mission Information that our staff have spent so much time creating. So I've had to push the time-frame of this announcement along a little bit, because although we have managed through HTML sorcery and fortunate-Force Powers page being open in another browser of our invaluable staff, and a few copies of other things, we've pieced together enough information to hold it together.

But.

Our true announcement was something a little bit different. It had to do with the staff of this site being very busy almost all of the time lately, and that we aren't able to maintain the systems and chronicling that we've created. And its true - we have all grown older, gotten more responsibilities, and the days where we have hours and hours a day to sit on the computer doing site related things have dwindled into the abyss. So I approached the staff, and made a proposal which was, more or less accepted without hesitation. I was planning on weaning it out, but unfortunately my own stupidity has done that for me; we are abolishing the current system of Character Sheets, and creating one which is entirely much more flexible and easy to use, without the need for Discipline or Social Points, no requirement for chroincling or constant staff approval. A system much like we used to have, when staff would monitor from afar (they do already) and catch things as they happen.

I call this Character Sheets 0.5. Its half way between the old days of everyone doing whatever they wanted, and almost the first system where you were allocated points for being a specific rank. Out of Character rank will never correspond to In Character rank however, so that much is never going to change. Neither is the rank-up systems, with Trials and what not - which are great for character progression and give clear definitive lines on how characters can progress in rank. The only thing that will change, is the availability of powers and items.

The powers are now, thankfully restored, being colour coded. The Entry Level Acolytes and Apprentices will be able to select any power coloured purple to add to their sheet, Knights and Sith Masters will be able to select anything blue or white to add to their sheet, Jedi Masters will be able to select anything Green, Blue or White to their sheets, while Council will be able to add anything Orange or Below. Red is the new restricted colour, with these powers given out at Admin Discretion.

Members will be asked to place their character sheets into a forum (which I will link later) so that they can be recorded for use, as we used to. These Sheets will be more of a reference point than a true indication - with members and characters expected to only take what their character would rightfully know, and not select every power in the list that they are able to select, just because they can. This will be somewhat self-policing, but staff will be on hand to make sure people don't simply claim to know everything all at once. Characters should still train to the best of their ability, and still follow powers on their natural path.

All members will be expected to take only the powers they actually would learn and want, rather than taking every power known to man and being a God of the Force. This is known as God-Modding. Characters will be required to have a character sheet for reference, but they won't be scrutinized for point totals, or required for anything other than a reference of what the character is capable of in the grand scheme. It will be expected that characters don't add powerful abilities at the last second, for a thread, without reason other than convenience because this known as Meta-Gaming.

The other reason we are asking members to add their sheet to the forum, is because any character who has earned or purchased a skill or power up until now, is allowed to keep those skills or powers regardless of whatever the colour coding shows. So we know what is Grandfathered, we will get members to add the sheets there, so we can see if it has been edited or added to fraudulently. No characters will be forced to give up any skill or power they have already obtained, and making new skills will be as simple as progressing to the next tier of power.

We understand it is a little restrictive, but on the up-side, people should be able to see how much more freedom we have provided. No threads will be required for Chronicling anymore, with that word being forcibly removed from our vocab by my foolish mistake.

I'll add more information soon - but I had planned on doing this a little bit later, so I've been forced to rush my announcement slightly. Apologies for any inconvenience you may have - hopefully this can help create a much simpler, and open forum for all to enjoy.

Regards

The Staff Team

1 person likes this