Kal Vonnar

A Fair Game of Pazaak

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

"I just wanted more freedom," Kal said, as they neared the storage room. "My family has wealth, but they're very protective of their children. I didn't have much of a say in the matter over the arranged marriage. I was told by my father once: 'you live the good life, you hear, son? The wild's no place for a boy, such as you'." He couldn't help quoting his father, as he searched for more valuables. Seemed like the right place to do it. "They said I wasn't built for battle, and here I am. But I'll show 'em. Call me weak again..."

"Ah ha! Found something!" Kal said, opening one of the boxes. "These are the same ceremonial rifles that you have, and I collected. They're worth a lot on the black market, right? The trick here is getting them to your ship. Unless you were looking for something less heavy to carry?"

He knew there were other valuables in this storage room, but given the time, the rifles might be the only thing worth collecting. He just hoped he wasn't wrong when the armada came, hint hint... okay, he meant when the soldiers arrived. Oh, his parents would kill him for stealing sleek, elegant rifles, but it was a fair trade to the life he had. Weakling. He was not weak. He would prove that he wasn't.

Edited by Kal Vonnar

"If you were not allowed much of a say in who you could be with, then it wasn't a good life. My father was the same way. 'Stick to the straight and narrow, because society needs someone to defend it, to maintain its rules'," Karter said sneeringly. "Problem was, I cared little for the rules...you are right to want to escape this gilded cage, Mr. Vonnar. You'd be comfortable sure, but what is comfort worth if there is no happiness?"

Karter agreed with Kal's assessment of portability. He wasn't sure how much the rifles by themselves would be worth, however. Firearms were firearms, but he was sure there had to be something else here that people would pay for.

Karter began checking the other crates, looking for something that might be just as much worth if not more. He spotted another crate, smaller than most. He undid the latch on the lid, and smiled.

He pulled out a sonic pistol. With the presence of enemy force users potentially getting to their doorstep in the near future, The Vonnar Family would have been mad to not have at least a couple lying around.

"We need to take these," Karter said, closing the lid. Sonic weapons are worth too credit to the right criminals. I'd leave the rifles. We'll get better money for these. Grab the box and carry it. And lead us to the garage. I'll cover you," he assured.

Frankly, he was amazed sonic weapons weren't more common in civilian hands. They lacked the same power and range, but they could kriff an adept up if one knew how to shoot.

Spoiler

As I was planning on taken at least one of these, given that I'm intermediate rank, and seeing as how Wookieepedia classes them as civilian weapons, I figured they should be easy to acquire, especially in a place potentially under threat of war. Please let me know If I should edit, admins

"I nearly forgot we had those, the sonic pistols," Kal said with a wide smile, as he carried the small crate. "This palace has a boatload of junk my parents would gladly give away. Prized, maybe, but eh... yeah, let's focus on getting out of here."

He glimpsed up at a stain glass window of a baby in his mother's arms. The mother had dark chestnut hair and her dress was orange. The baby was in a blue jumper, but smiling giddily. He looked happy... happy enough for Kal to look away. These stain glass windows were nothing more than memories now. Memories he would have gladly chosen to forget. In truth, smuggling was about the only job he could think of at the moment, where he could travel the galaxy, visit planets he had only dreamed of seeing. It would be worth it in the end.

His mind returned fast to the present. The garage was on this wing, and he found it no problem. Already, it was empty except for two soldiers. He hated seeing them ready to strike his new friend Gait, but whatever his new employer wanted to do in this room was beyond him. Just where could he find a place... there was another sonic pistol. No. There were three of them, grey cased and modified, but complete with the red flames painted over the gold backdrop. His family's colors. Why hadn't he seen these before, until now? What were his parents hiding that they didn't want him to know?

"How many of these sonic pistols are in this palace?" Kal asked, just as the soldiers looked up at him. He swiped up his blaster and fired, stunning the one soldier in front of him. Hopefully, Gait got the other soldier.

Karter followed Kal, as the alarm blared near constantly throughout the palace. He watched Kal look away from the stained glass window as he headed out, following his new employee through vast passages leading to other rooms until they came out into a large garage, mostly bereft of anything, save a pair of what looked like Palace Soldiers.

One of them opened fire on Vonnar, and he dropped the box of weapons, opening fire right back. Karter shot the other one with a stun bolt, no need for blood. He tried not to be a savage unless it was necessary. Karter began looking for a speeder, spotting a luxury ground speeder in a far corner. He also made note of other crates of sonic weapons. Vonnar Family was gearing up for something huge, and soon. He picked up one case that been recently delivered and tossed it into the back, ordering Kal to toss his crate in when he sensed him.

He entered from an automatic doorway, brandishing a yellow bladed lightsaber with the cadence of a Niman Practitioner. He knew this because Ryleya had been instructing him in the basics of the style before he had killed her, and he wasn't at all confident enough to try using that style in open battle yet, any more than he was with Soresu. The Knight looked to be a human with graying hair, middle aged, not some fresh faced over confident Padawan. His eyes were a piercing Gray and his skin was a mild beige. He weighed his options, staring at the knight, deciding whether to engage or run. If he engaged, it might slow them both down, if he did not, the Jedi might realize what Karter was and alert the authorities outside. Then they would have some REAL trouble attempting to escape.

Karter decided he had to end this fast. He wasn't certain his own skills as a dueling were up to snuff.

"Kal Vonnar," the Jedi said, stepping forward in purple robes. "You are to surrender at once. You are throwing away your whole life to be a ruffian good only for putting in a cell. As for you...you...wait..." The Jedi said to Karter, blade going to a guard position. "I sense the Dark Side in you..."

The Jedi turned back to Kal with genuine concern. "Kal you MUST come with me. Your companion is dangerous. You will be in constant danger. Can you not see he is using you?"

"Jedi...shut up," Karter said in annoyance, pulling the Force around him, pulled it around him so completely that he simply vanished from sight. The Jedi went to instant alert. He began sensing for life but could only get a general idea of where Karter was in front of him before the bolts from Karter's stolen sonic pistol began being sent his way. The Jedi dashed forward with the Force swiping with his blade, and Karter only barely managed to get out of the way of the swipe that would have taken his head off and went backward, his mastery of cloaking silencing his footfalls as well as rendering his form utterly invisible. The Jedi force dashed towards his general direction and this time Karter could not completely avoid it, the tip barely grazing his arm, making him lose concentration of his cloak as he toppled to the ground, but before the Jedi could capatilize on Karter's mistake, advancing to get his foe's neck at blade point and force a surrender, Karter rolled on the ground, firing with both a regular blaster and his new sonic pistol, the Jedi was forced to back away and Karter kept firing. The Jedi had two choices. He could either block the rapidly fired pistol bolts going his way and risk getting hit by the sonic bolts also or he could back off and wait for and opening. The Jedi tried to Force pull the weapons out of his hand but Karter kept his guns in a death grip, firing his way. The Jedi then used an ability Karter had never seen before. He held out his hand, generating a shimmering wall of energy in front of his person that Karter's weapons could not penetrate. Even the sonic weapons were no good. Uh oh.

Karter had no answer for that one when it came to weaponry. He had one trick left up his sleeve though...he had learned this one on Arkania, blocking the connection of a Dark Jedi by accident when he had been nearly overwhelmed in combat. He had tested it on several others since then to assess it's capability. It would cause a mighty strain but it was his best remaining play.

Karter continued to fire letting him advance within striking range and then he reached out, dropping his regular blaster and throwing his mind, along with all his anger and hatred to the task. He threw out his mind to the Jedi' s, seeking out his connection in the Force and clamping down on it. The Jedi swooned, resisting. Karter felt terrible headaches and his mind was in agony but he used that pain to focus his rage at the Jedi, at all Jedi. He reached further into the Jedi, cutting his juice and keeping it cut. The Jedi's shield failed and the knight swooned, disoriented. He was still trying to throw Karter out of his mind, however, and Karter knew he couldn't keep this up much longer. The Knight advanced with his still active lightsaber, struggling to get the Dark Sider out of his mind and Karter fired his sonic weapon at close range. The bolt curved around the blade, the Jedi too slow and disoriented to evade in time, and was hit square in the head by a bolt on lethal setting. His face deformed and compacted from the shot, and he fell backward, dead, his lightsaber deactivating as it tumbled from his hand, the activation stud hitting the ground and shutting the blade off.

Karter got up, drained and completely exhausted from the strain. He stood up, himself woozy, and reached over, picking up the dead knight's lightsaber, spitting on the corpse.

"That's two, you bastards," he snapped, kicking the body. About a minute and a half had passed between the engagement and it's end. He was lucky...he knew it. But it was a win all the same, even if it had been a win by the skin of his teeth.

He wearily got into the speeder, beckoning Vonnar to follow. "Ok...spoiler alert...totally a Dark Jedi," He admitted to his new employee. 

Kal gulped. The lump was still in his throat. He couldn't believe what he saw. As much as he wanted little to do with Jedi, just to find out his companion was a Jedi... how was he to cope with that? And that Jedi just killed one of his own, Light or Dark. Wasn't there any mercy?

"I may want to be a smuggler, but I've always questioned the Jedi. And you're a Jedi, Gait," Kal spoke up, serious. "Don't tell me I have to do this as part of the job. Killing Jedi." He shook his head. "I won't do it. I have respect for the Jedi, even though I don't fully trust their codes. What is that about?"

He made his way into the speeder, willing to ask a few more questions. He still couldn't get enough of the red flames on the gold plated speeder. "And who are you really? That Jedi has guarded my family for years. And you just flat out killed him? What sort of a man does that to people?" He added, with a little remorse. "If I choose the smuggler's life, I do it under my terms. I don't kill Jedi."

"Not Jedi, DARK Jedi," Karter said, starting the speeder. "And yeah, I get it. You don't wanna kill Jedi. Perfectly understandable. Its not really your problem. Its my thing. See, I hate the bastards. They turned people I swore to stand by into criminals," he explained powering up the speeder, pulling back out of the parking space and heading down the long path to the garage exit.

"Me and the people I worked with...we got an order we didn't want to follow...we were ordered to reintegrate with the Republic and the Jedi Order. Except...we didn't want to. We wanted to do our own thing. See we felt the Order was wrong in its approach--" he was cut off as he burst through the garage security checkpoint bar. "And we were tired of taking orders from people who have been doing nothing but repeating their mistakes. Their reaction, to say the least, was telling. We were branded criminals and hunted down, even when, in truth, we had no intention of becoming their enemies," he continued piloting haphazardly out of the palace estates. "Now, as far as I know, I'm the only one left. Oh! And they stole the two people I care for most away from me, so forgive me if I do not share your respect for them. Take it from a guy who knows...the Jedi Order ain't the heroes you think. Now, I get you ain't no killer. But good news for you, thats not what I hired you for."

Karter piloted through the streets of an alderaanian pavilion, going just below the speed limit on a designated path.

"I hired you as an assistant for mundane endeavors. I won't ask you to go against your concience, but on the flip side, when it come to me going all murdery on Jedi, you stay outta my way. Now if you're smart, and you follow orders without question on everything else, you're gonna make a ton of money. Plus, you got a Darksider backing you...that is an advantage most other starting smugglers do NOT have. I have no interest in money or power. I only use the money to acquire resources I need to fund my vendetta. Most of it is going to you anyway. And when you're established enough and I have made you tough enough so you don't have to take shavit from no one, I'll get you your own ship, and we can part ways without acrimony. But ONLY if you follow orders. Now, can you pilot? Cause I suck at it, he said, finally reaching the space port after a few minutes. He spotted his ship on an outside landing pad. It was an XS Stock Light Freighter, with the name The Binding Spell etched in cursive basic on the side. He hopped out of the speeder grabbing a crate and heading to the spaceport landing pad. The terminal was a large tower of brown stone. Karter kept a steady pace as he walked, not trying to draw attention. Their sabotage of palace comms had bought them minutes. They needed to leave now. He'd been smart enough to pay the fee to go to and from. And he had paid off customs beforehand.

"Vonnar! Get on board!" He yelled.

Whoa. Kal had not expected that reaction from his new Dark Jedi friend... or maybe he should say employer-employee at the moment. Well hey, if all worked out well, then he'd be off to a great start at becoming a smuggler. And there was the ship... he whistled in delight. She sure was a beauty for a freighter. Not a junker, he hoped. He wasn't sure if he was ready to fly junker ships yet. But yes, there was always the possibility for...

"I don't think I've come across a ship like that, Gait. And yes, I'm a pilot. I've trained and trained over the years. Love to pilot ships," Kal said, as he rushed inside, making his way into the cockpit and into the pilot's seat. There were the buttons. Oh, how was he to... okay, this button worked like this. And that button worked that part. The engine was roaring, he had the ship ready for flight. He turned to Gait, wondering, "Can you co-pilot? I'm sorry back there. Spur of the moment. There was so much going on... yeah."

With all his expertise, so far the ship was ready for take off. He just needed to... yes, they were flying out of the docking bay.

Posted (edited)

Karter got aboard just as he heard shouting behind him. Seems the message had gotten out. He was aboard, closing the hatch just as Kal lifted off, smoothly at that, not all rickety like Karter. His value had doubled. He heard him shouting for a co-pilot. That he could handle. He headed into the cockpit, getting into the co-pilot's seat and handling engine power and other systems, watching through the viewport as Kal cleared the hanger, rocketing into the sky. 

Karter punched in the hyperspace coordinates for Nar Shaddaa. Heard the computer beep as the coordinates were activated and the hyperdrive warm up. After a tense few seconds they cleared the atmosphere and Karter punched it.

The Jet Black frieghter lurched forward into hyperspace, the ship disappearing.

Karter looked back at Kal. They had both gotten STUPIDLY lucky, him in particular, because he had dared to come to Alderaan to begin with. Nar Shaddaa had many places to disappear to.

"Well done, Mr. Vonnar. Now, for one last bit of honesty. You've been a sport. You've earned it. The name is not Gait...My name...my real one...is Kultram Desperaux. I however, prefer the alias of Karter of Uriek. You may address me as simply 'Karter'," he said. "Now we have two shipments of sonic weapons, and a Jedi's lightsaber...the lightsaber will sell for a good amount. Hutts love one or two in their private collection so we won't lack for credits once we find a buyer."

He pulled down his hood, revealing his pale face and sulpher eyes, the brown, short cut hair. His facial features were angular, with a strong jaw.

"Now, about your duties and rights aboard my ship," he went on.  "I expect cleanliness. You wash your own dishes and clothes. You NEVER enter my quarters without knocking and asking if you can come in. You as of now, are responsible for flying this ship as well as overseeing repairs. All upgrades will be cleared by me before you purchase anything. Now, I know your personal red line is not killing Jedi, but you are not to attempt to dissuade me from doing so. Not unless there is a sincere tactical reason. I, in turn, will not attempt to drag you into that matter. However, you are naive if you think being a smuggler won't end in violence on occasion. Be prepared to kill to defend yourself from everyone besides Jedi. And there are other adepts out there besides Jedi. Dangerous people who know the Force. They're all out there...just a heads up," he explained. "You are to follow my orders without question in most mundane cases. Do so, and you will be treated fairly. Disobey without an EXTREMELY good reason, you can find someone else to work for. I'm not a cruel taskmaster. I won't ask you to do something I myself do not have the stomach for. But know this--" he continued, turning to face Kal. "Any sins you commit of your own free will are yours to live with. Do not hold me responsible for what extremes you end up commiting if you decide it was necessary in the heat of the moment. We all have to decide how far we wanna go in our respective endeavors. And what we can live with as a result. If you decide without any prompting to violently gun down some poor bastard trying to slap the restraints on you...that's your problem," he finished. "Now, it'll be a while before we reach Nar Shaddaa. I'll show you a tour of the vessel. Put this thing on autopilot and follow me."

The ship was a vast one, there was a lounge, a holoterminal, a kitchen area, captains quarters, which were sealed, but close to the bridge, and spare crew quarters with three bunks.

The ship interior though was unsettling in a few ways. The ship interior had a frequent dark color scheme on the interior. And then there were the pentagrams

They showed up in odd, out of the way places, especially when they wouldn't make sense. They varied in size, but were always colored red and had an eye in the middle. "I know, I know, its sorta creepy. But this was how I found the inside when I...acquired it," he added with a dark chuckle. He led him to the spare crew quarters.

"This is your room," Karter said with a sweeping gesture. "That may change if I acquire another crew member, so you may not always have it to yourself. That being said, you are free to renovate it in the meantime to your liking. The supplies are stocked, fix yourself some food and then get back to piloting. Now, any questions?"

Edited by Karter

Kal looked about his room for a few seconds. This was his home. His new home. Not the palace life that he was used to. But the only way he'd plan on returning to Alderaan is if fate brought him there, or if he was stupid enough to get caught and dragged back to his home world either way. Nah. He chose this life and this was what he would do from now on... just not kill Jedi. He wasn't that stupid. Maybe he could go easy on them, but yet... and all of these thoughts happened in a quick few seconds. He heard Karter loud and clear. But a question was forming in his mind, one he couldn't ignore.

"You didn't tell me who you were when we first met. Was that because you didn't trust me? Or were you trying to hide from someone? Did you have a rough life?" Kal thought it best to ask these questions. Sure, he'd know the ship after a while, but this was important. Although Karter may or may not see it, but he did get him out of the mess he made down on the planet... then again, he had put Karter in that state in the first place. Well, maybe he would pay him back someday. "Also, I got you into that mess down there. Sorry about that. Maybe I can make it up to you someday." It was the best he had, but at least he was getting somewhere... or starting to.

Karter sighed, sitting down on one of the bunks.

"It was a bit of both, to be honest," he answered. "I ain't clean Kal. You could say I had a rough life, but a lot of it was my choice. And yeah, I am in hiding...until I gather enough resources, enough strength, and strike," he answered. "I wouldn't sweat what happened on Alderaan...you're a rookie, it was to be expected, you making a rookie mistake."

He rose up. "You can make it up to me by following orders and piloting. We'll get along just fine if you do that," He said, walking out of the room to leave Kal to his thoughts and heading to his private quarters.

He took of his jacket, putting his lightsaber on a small stand next to three others. There was his original Jedi lightsaber, his most prized possession, and Isobelle and Ryleya's. He shuddered a bit, looking at hers, and then he went into a meditative position, focusing on his hatred and rage towards the order, still trying to think of a solution that would allow him that personal revenge he craved where the Jedi were concerned.

Posted (edited)

Kal watched Karter leave the room. He was alone, but this time being alone and being caught inside a ship that was a near nightmare was not what he had in mind. All around him, there was an unease about the ship. He felt like someone was watching him in this part of the ship. He had to get up and leave. Or at least head to the cockpit. That seemed about the safest place to be at. Finding his bearings, Kal fled from the room, only to meet the gaze of the painted red pentagrams. There was no questioning how he felt.

Blood. Ghosts. Someone must have owned this ship and killed a few men. He hadn't experienced much killing. Nor did he wish it. But just what was required to be a smuggler? Maybe he should have looked into the job more, before he delved into it firsthand. And if he couldn't be a smuggler, the time after he and Karter finished their chores, then maybe he could try another trade. Maybe that's what counted.

At last, after turning the corner in a rounded hallway, he found himself back in the cockpit. At least, piloting would keep him occupied from whatever ghosts lived aboard Karter's ship. He had to do something. Anything. To keep him occupied. For now, the destination was unknown, but at least he had his piloting skills on him. So, he was ready to go at last.

Edited by Kal Vonnar